Access 2016 still broken since last week

Copper Contributor

Community,

Many of our users are having the issue caused by KB5002099. We've fully installed all updates available from Windows Updates, and I even manually downloaded the latest updates in case Windows Updates wasn't detecting them. We are still seeing the error when accessing a database on a network share.

Error in Access when opening a database on a network file share (microsoft.com)

I still can't figure out what channel/build our Office is currently on (so I can compare with the affected list). The Account page doesn't include that information like all instructions indicate it should (see screenshot). I can only find the version number which starts with 16.0 instead of "Current Channel Version 2111, build 14701.20262"(as an example)

1.png

Am I missing something here? I'm currently trying to gain access to the VLSC to download a fresh version of the installer in case that is different then the one I've been using.

6 Replies

@AIE_KM 

Hi

We are having the exact same issues on our Access DB network, the workstations with a prior build version are thankfully working. This error really needs fixing, if our current active workstations are updated then we have real problems!!

Hi,

Today Microsoft has updated the bug article with this caveat:

Note: If you are using Distributed File System Namespaces (DFS Namespaces overview | Microsoft Docs) to redirect a folder that contains an Access database, you will still see the issue that you cannot open the database for shared use, even with the fixed update.
You should use the direct path to the database to allow shared usage.

Servus

Karl

Access News

@Karl Donaubauer 

Bonjour Karl

Savez vous si c'est un problème temporaire  ? ie est ce qu'il est prévu u, correctif pour pouvoir utiliser à nouveau des raccourcis réseau ?

Merci d'avance

@Karl Donaubauer 

Thanks for your update on the situation! You gave me so much hope! Unfortunately, our system isn't using DFS and the issue continues even when using the direct path \\servername\fileshare\databasefile. 

I see Microsoft added another section to the site, so I'm hoping it will get sorted out soon.

"There are pending fixes for the following builds:

• Office 2013

• Office 2016 MSI

• Office LTSC 2021"

Hi,

Meanwhile it is clear that the problem is not only persisting with DFS, but also with other path methods like SUBST or MKLNK. We have a report here in the forum where someone writes that even using the server's IP address would be problematic, although that should work in theory.

Microsoft is working to fix some of the issues caused by the security updates. Others will remain as they are now considered a security threat. The information on the Access bug website should be updated soon.

If you can wait for all this to happen, then wait for the information and fixes. If you can't, then there are some workarounds depending on what exactly you are using etc. However, generally reverting to an older version of Office (before the security updates) is the only solution that will reliably help.

Servus
Karl
Access News
Access DevCon

@Karl Donaubauer 

Hi Karl

We have had some success reverting to an older version of Office, but this fix seems only to be a temporary success. We have 10 pc work stations connecting to the access database, does every pc need to be reverted to the same point?

Additionally we can currently connect to the back end of the database one pc at a time, do you think that this is a clue to our problem?

Thanks in Advance

Mike