Word won't open on mac

Copper Contributor

Hi,

For the last couple of days, the word app on my mac won't open. It bounces after clicking in the icon and then nothing happens. I have to force the app to shut down. All the other office apps are working fine. I downloaded the latest version of Mac OS. What should I do to fix this?

Thanks

60 Replies

@Mitch Capelli 

I have a problem with the mojave download and word but it's kinda the opposite.  I installed Mojave last Thursday on my mac desktop on which I have word and excel for Mac.  A short time later I was editing a document in word and sent it to print.  It closed down.  I opened it again, it closed down.  Then I got a message referring to the 32 bit vs 64 bit issue.  I went on Microsoft and downloaded the "fix" to make my word and excel 64 bit on my mac.  Works great, however, now I cannot open and Pages documents whatsoever.  Every time I try to open a Pages document, I get the message, "The document "document name" couldn't be opened".

Help, what have I done??????

@SharonattheHip

Can you give the exact wording of the error.

For example "The document 'Resume.pages' could not be opened"

If the file does not have a .pages or .docx extension then Mojave is probably confused about which app it needs to use to open the file.

I have seen errors like this where the file extension has changed to .18 or similar because the file was created in an older version of pages that Apple does not support any longer.

Hope this is helpful to you

Hi Sharon

Can you give the exact wording of the error.

For example "The document 'Resume.pages' could not be opened"

If the file does not have a .pages or .docx extension then Mojave is probably confused about which app it needs to use to open the file.

I have seen errors like this where the file extension has changed to .18 or similar because the file was created in an older version of pages that Apple does not support any longer.

Hope this is helpful to you

@Gary Hart  Excel will not open after I updated it to MS Office 2016

Hi I have a brand new Macbook Pro with the MacOs Mojave 10.14.5

I installed a fresh Office 2019 and all aplications work except Word.

When I try to open Word the icon bounces but do not open. I tried to reinstall the Office aplication but the problem persists.

Word version is 16.26

@RGomesPT 

Have you had any success in this - I have also been stuck with this issue. I have have tried multiple reinstalls with no success.

@callum80  still stucked with this problem.

Would be some update or fix on Office to solve this?

I can't get Word to open on my Mac. @Ken Callaghan 

I tried this method and my Mac's First Aid only repairs the volume, not 'Repair Disk Permissions.'

@Mitch Capelli is this problem only on office 365 2019 for mac

i use macOS High Sierra ver 10.13.6

ive installed office 2019 ver 16.19 and everything works fine except Word 

i get *microsoft error reporting* 

i keep getting *There was a problem and Microsoft Word was closed. We apologize for the inconvenience* (plus it wont even launch in the first place)

i think i have a different problem but cant find a solution anywhere, pls help.

@Julie null 

My Word 365 closes immediately when I press on the icon. I cannot write at all.

I have Mac Catalina !0.16.7

What can I do?

@Savannah Bartel I bought a copy of MS Word about 10 years ago.  It's been working fine on the few occasions I need to use it. I upgraded to Big Sur recently and now am totally unable to launch MS Word.

Any suggestions?

I tried several of the suggestions to an earlier comment and nothing worked.

I will try to attach a copy of the error message I receive. I tried clicking on "Restore..." and it does not work. It wants me to use Word 365 which is a total waste of money for me.

TIA

Word suddendly will not open.
I have Office 355 on my iMac Catalina

@Laurie113 Same thing. I am unable to open Word docs on my MacBook Air or on my Mac. So frustrating! 

I suffer the same ridiculous fault. Word seems to have lost touch with the basics.

This worked for me @Rochel Tehila Israelsky 

It says Word my have to be reinstalled or a new version?

@mhratje 

@Julie null 

MS Word will not open.....why?  I