Auto log in to Word (or Office) 2016

Steel Contributor

Hello,

We are looking for a way to make the login to Word 2016 with an Office 365 organisational account persistent for our users. Our users often use shared pc's to log into.

The problem is they always have to manually log in to Word after logging into Windows. We don't have roaming profiles and use ADFS. Ideally there is a policy or script which can autologin the user into Office 2016 after logging into WIndows.

Bart

6 Replies
Bump to this post.

Anyone?

I logged a call on this and was told it only works with the click to run install, are you using MSI like me?

We used to work with MSI but want to switch to C2R. So far our tests are inconclusive.

Is it linked to the installation method (MSI vs C2R) or the version (Office 2016 Professional vs Office 365 ProPlus)?

From the info I have, it's tied to the install method, but I might actually clarify that with support while I have the case open.

Below the response we got from premier support, unfortunately it was not that clear:

I checked with my Technical Advisor and yes , it is possible. For that you need an ADFS server (that you told me you allready run ) with SSO configured .

However , I would recommend testing with at least  Current Channel October 4, 2016 Version 1609 (Build 7369.2024) or newer simply because as per https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/mt465751  there is an improved mechanism called opportunistic renewal for Licensing token renewal for shared computer activation: Office attempts to renew the licensing token for shared computer activation on a regular basis once the token is 50% expired.

Also: Please apply the following policy:
HKCU\software\policies\microsoft\office\16.0\common!autoorgidgetkey
This policy setting activates Office on users' computers without prompting them to sign in to their Office 365 accounts. If you enable or do not configure this policy setting, and a user is already signed in with federated organization credentials, Office automatically activates when the user first starts an Office application. If either multiple or no organization credentials are found, the user is prompted to sign in. If you disable this policy setting, Office might prompt the user to sign in with their organization's credentials if Office is not installed directly by the user from his or her Office 365 account homepage.