SOLVED

Your deployment failed

Copper Contributor

I've tried to deploy a simple single server / single tenant many times and I'm stuck with the error below. Any ideas? I've gone through 2 trials & never got it working once. Follow instructions to the "T" to no avail. The error below bears no hint to where to begin looking for. Google has no relevant hits on it. A MS representative from the preview program reached out to me too see if we were doing well, I asked for help, she never got back to me. Please help.

{ "id": "/subscriptions/2fe1cf6e-cc2f-4d8a-ae40-c16094b5916d/resourceGroups/rg_RDS/providers/Microsoft.Resources/deployments/rds.wvd-provision-host-pool-20190517102859/operations/507AE14EB15A3844", "operationId": "507AE14EB15A3844", "properties": { "provisioningOperation": "Create", "provisioningState": "Failed", "timestamp": "2019-05-17T17:50:05.1680725Z", "duration": "PT10M21.3276442S", "trackingId": "895d37c4-fd20-4631-82a2-acddfaf198c6", "serviceRequestId": "1c4f0171-e52c-450e-8a34-405fe36ae590", "statusCode": "Conflict", "statusMessage": { "status": "Failed", "error": { "code": "ResourceDeploymentFailure", "message": "The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.", "details": [ { "code": "VMExtensionProvisioningError", "message": "VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'dscextension'. Error message: \"DSC Configuration 'FirstSessionHost' completed with error(s). Following are the first few: PowerShell DSC resource MSFT_ScriptResource failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: One or more errors occurred. The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.\"." } ] } }, "targetResource": { "id": "/subscriptions/2fe1cf6e-cc2f-4d8a-ae40-c16094b5916d/resourceGroups/rg_RDS/providers/Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/rdhost-0/extensions/dscextension", "resourceType": "Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/extensions", "resourceName": "rdhost-0/dscextension" }, "request": { "content": { "location": "centralus", "properties": { "publisher": "Microsoft.Powershell", "type": "DSC", "typeHandlerVersion": "2.73", "autoUpgradeMinorVersion": true, "settings": { "modulesUrl": "https://catalogartifact.azureedge.net/publicartifacts/rds.wvd-provision-host-pool-a6ce9b11-d690-4507...", "configurationFunction": "Configuration.ps1\\FirstSessionHost", "properties": { "TenantAdminCredentials": { "userName": "CompulinkAdvantage@outlook.com", "password": "PrivateSettingsRef:tenantAdminPassword" }, "RDBrokerURL": "https://rdbroker.wvd.microsoft.com", "DefinedTenantGroupName": "Default Tenant Group", "TenantName": "RDStenant", "HostPoolName": "pool_RDS", "Description": "Created through ARM template", "FriendlyName": "pool_RDS", "Hours": "48", "isServicePrincipal": false, "AadTenantId": "", "EnablePersistentDesktop": false, "defaultDesktopUsers": "\"egf@CompulinkAdvantageoutlook.onmicrosoft.com\"" } }, "ProtectedSettings": { "items": { "tenantAdminPassword": "Lyq$P6X^+22s4k3H" } } } } }, "response": { "content": { "startTime": "2019-05-17T17:39:44.9120853+00:00", "endTime": "2019-05-17T17:50:03.6212846+00:00", "status": "Failed", "error": { "code": "VMExtensionProvisioningError", "message": "VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'dscextension'. Error message: \"DSC Configuration 'FirstSessionHost' completed with error(s). Following are the first few: PowerShell DSC resource MSFT_ScriptResource failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: One or more errors occurred. The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.\"." }, "name": "1c4f0171-e52c-450e-8a34-405fe36ae590" } } }}

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution

UPDATE - Removed all underscores from names and it finally worked.

Other annoyances are that when I created my Azure account it automatically appended "outlook" to the  end of my username in the default Azure Default Directory name. This made it longer than 15 characters and as a result when I created an Azure Domain Services domain the domains did not match making deploying using the provided template much harder to succeed by throwing a bunch of random errors. FYI in case you run into these annoyances, save headaches and make sure your Azure AD and Domain Services domain match unless you bring your own domain name.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution

UPDATE - Removed all underscores from names and it finally worked.

Other annoyances are that when I created my Azure account it automatically appended "outlook" to the  end of my username in the default Azure Default Directory name. This made it longer than 15 characters and as a result when I created an Azure Domain Services domain the domains did not match making deploying using the provided template much harder to succeed by throwing a bunch of random errors. FYI in case you run into these annoyances, save headaches and make sure your Azure AD and Domain Services domain match unless you bring your own domain name.

View solution in original post