SOLVED

Windows Virtual Desktop is generally available!

Microsoft

Hello Previewers!

We are happy to share with you the announcement on general availability on our new service. The following resources celebrate this moment:

We would like to draw your attention to a few resources available to you: 

Thank you to all previewers for feedback and questions you have shared in this community. Continue your exchange here. Don't hesitate to post feature suggestions on: https://aka.ms/wvdfbk

15 Replies
Just to confirm: WVD is generally available within ALL Azure regions effective immediately?

@Justin Coffey: That is correct. Watch out for a post coming later today on the experience estimator ...stay tuned.

Is there any ETA on when RDS infrastructure will become a global service. With my Australian desktops a 570ms is a terrible experience.
best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution

@soloji Did you check with the new user experience estimator we have? Is it really giving you that high a latency? I'm getting 240ms for RT from WUS to Australia Central 2 (which is not the best but definitely better than 540).

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/virtual-desktop/assessment/

By end of 2019, we will have service instance in Japan and that should considerably reduce your RT to double digits.

Great news about Japan :)

I actually got my results from the experience calculator interestingly I have found that depending on DNS server that you use will change the response of returned location for rdgateway.wvd.microsoft.com.

I expect that this what is influencing my strange results.

So as pictured if you use google DNS 8.8.8.8 it returns an address in the Netherlands (using kloth.net)

DNS server handling your query: 8.8.8.8
 DNS server's address:	8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
 rdgateway.wvd.microsoft.com	canonical name = rdgateway-prod-geo.trafficmanager.net.
 rdgateway-prod-geo.trafficmanager.net	canonical name = mrs-weur1c001-rdgateway-prod.azurewebsites.net.
 mrs-weur1c001-rdgateway-prod.azurewebsites.net	canonical name = waws-prod-am2-135.sip.azurewebsites.windows.net.
 waws-prod-am2-135.sip.azurewebsites.windows.net	canonical name = waws-prod-am2-135.cloudapp.net.
 Name:	waws-prod-am2-135.cloudapp.net
 Address: 52.233.128.61

Geolocation data from IP2Location (Product: DB6, updated on 2019-9-1)

IP Address Country Region CityISP Organization Latitude Longitude

52.233.128.61Netherlands 

Noord-HollandAmsterdam
Microsoft CorporationNot Available52.37404.8897

But  if you use cloudflare DNS 1.1.1.1 it returns an address in the Eastern United States (using kloth.net)

DNS server handling your query: 1.1.1.1
 DNS server's address:	1.1.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
 rdgateway.wvd.microsoft.com	canonical name = rdgateway-prod-geo.trafficmanager.net.
 rdgateway-prod-geo.trafficmanager.net	canonical name = mrs-eus2r0c002-rdgateway-prod.azurewebsites.net.
 mrs-eus2r0c002-rdgateway-prod.azurewebsites.net	canonical name = waws-prod-bn1-039.sip.azurewebsites.windows.net.
 waws-prod-bn1-039.sip.azurewebsites.windows.net	canonical name = waws-prod-bn1-039.cloudapp.net.
 Name:	waws-prod-bn1-039.cloudapp.net
 Address: 137.116.78.243

Geolocation data from IP2Location (Product: DB6, updated on 2019-9-1)

IP Address Country Region CityISP Organization Latitude Longitude

137.116.78.243United States 

VirginiaBoydton
Microsoft CorporationNot Available36.6676-78.3875

@Pavithra Thiruvengadam 

I'm a little confused. So my VM is in Australia East but my rdgateway is routing through the US.

tracert rdgateway-r1.wvd.microsoft.com

Tracing route to waws-prod-bn1-043.cloudapp.net [104.209.178.67]

What RDGateway should Australian's be routing through? Is there a list of gateways?

How accurate is the WVD Experience Estimator? It's telling me best experience is in East US 2 with 206ms but Australia East is 446ms

@Paul Maranzano 

I am also interested in this answer but I think from above there are no rd gateway servers in Australia with Japan to be next (hopefully not final) region that will be closer than US

@soloji 

Hopefully, it's quite unusable. I might start deploying but get clients to use the traditional RDP client over secure connection.

Hi

The egress DNS of the user is used for routing to the nearest gateway. Location-wise, your connections should be going to West US gateway. If you have google DNS then you can see the connections going to West US, for now and later in Japan. 

@Pavithra Thiruvengadam 

What about after Japan? Surely it can’t be hard to deploy an RD Gateway within Australia. is there a timeline?

I am also interested in an AUS gateway option. Even with Japan latency to AU region will be less than ideal. At the moment its 400ms RTT on the experience estimator tool.

@Pavithra Thiruvengadam 

In addition, if we do deploy WVD and use the standard RDP client with direct RDP until latency comes down and experience is acceptable, what functionality will we lose?

Can we still utilize FSLogix? Scaling? 

@Paul Maranzano: Review https://aka.ms/wvdgetstarted to review features that are available in Windows Virtual Desktop. FSLogix is available for RDS - see more here

@Eva Seydl  well according to this

For optimal performance, make sure your network meets the following requirements:

• Round-trip (RTT) latency from the client's network to the Azure region where host pools have been deployed should be less than 150 ms.

as long as you deploy your host pool in the AU region you should be fine? 

my traffic however is still being passed via the US. 

@Akshay_Mane 

Spoiler

@Akshay_Mane wrote:

@Eva Seydl 

Windows Virtual Desktop is a comprehensive desktop and app virtualization service running on the cloud. It is the only service that delivers simplified management, multi-session Windows 10, optimizations for Office 365 ProPlus, and support for Remote Desktop Services environments. With Azure Windows Virtual Desktop, you can deploy and scale your Windows desktops and apps on Azure in minutes, with built-in security and compliance.

The official Microsoft link for Windows Virtual desktop is this:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/virtual-desktop/

Not that in your comment

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Eva Seydl (Microsoft)
Solution

@soloji Did you check with the new user experience estimator we have? Is it really giving you that high a latency? I'm getting 240ms for RT from WUS to Australia Central 2 (which is not the best but definitely better than 540).

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/virtual-desktop/assessment/

By end of 2019, we will have service instance in Japan and that should considerably reduce your RT to double digits.

View solution in original post