Windows Virtual Desktop - Deployment failed

Copper Contributor
Hi there, 

I was trying to setup WVD by following the MSDN tutorial and the video walkthrough and able to provision a host pool and pass the validation, however, an error occurred in the deployment phase. 

From the error message, the error is Deployment error: "VMExtensionProvisioningError". 
Details error message are:
{"code":"DeploymentFailed","message":"At least one resource deployment operation failed. Please list deployment operations for details. Please see https://aka.ms/arm-debug for usage details.","details":[{"code":"Conflict","message":"{\r\n \"status\": \"Failed\",\r\n \"error\": {\r\n \"code\": \"ResourceDeploymentFailure\",\r\n \"message\": \"The resource operation completed with terminal provisioning state 'Failed'.\",\r\n \"details\": [\r\n {\r\n \"code\": \"VMExtensionProvisioningError\",\r\n \"message\": \"VM has reported a failure when processing extension 'joindomain'. Error message: \\\"Exception(s) occured while joining Domain 'robinfan723gmail.onmicrosoft.com'\\\".\"\r\n }\r\n ]\r\n }\r\n}"}]}

Attached screenshots in below. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this issue ? Thanks

Pass validation.jpg
Deployment failed.jpg
error code.jpg
13 Replies

@RobinFanAre you using Azure AD Domain Services or a regular AD with AAD Connect? Have you checked the permissions for the account you are using? Have you checked that the domain name is resolveable?

@A_priori_superior , Thanks for your reply. I used my personal gmail account for registering the free Microsoft Azure, can you advise how can I check the service i'm using and the permission my account has (i should be the Admin as i checked my role in Azure portal)

Only Azure Active Directory is not enough. You need also Active Directory Domain Services with Azure AD Connect or Azure Active Directory Domain Services for your VDI desktops.

Hi @Sami_Holtta

I’ve followed the steps to create the AD Domain Service but still failed at the same error message, “Exceptions occurred while joining Domain”. Any ideas how to figure out this problem ? Thanks.

1.png

2.png

Ok, this is Azure Active Directory Domain Services, not Active Directory Domain Services with AD Connect. You need  domain credentials to join the domain (AD domain join UPN user, this will be also a new local admin user in your VDI desktops, sounds strange yes). Use the credentials for a user that belongs to the Azure AD DC administrators group. Only members of this group have privileges to join machines to the Azure AD DS managed domain. Check also that your VNet Custom DNS configuration is ok.

Also when this deployment fails, it is good practice to delete unused old resources and configurations. Most of the configuration and cleaning tasks only with PowerShell (maybe in the future also in this portal).

And if you have enabled user accounts for Azure Active Directory Domain Services and generated password hashes, your deployment should work if all other settings are correct.

@Sami_Holtta , I have created a member ( wvd_test@robinfan723gmail.onmicrosoft.com) under the AAD Domain.

aad domain.JPG

Next, to generate password hash, I followed this article, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory-domain-services/join-windows-vm, and in the step of join a Windows server VM to a managed domain, I failed again at connect to VM. It asked "Request access" before connecting it and after I click it, the event "Requesting just-in-time access" is running, however, it can't finish and keeps running infinitely. Not sure why and any steps I ignore ? 

jit.JPG

jit-2.JPG

Any updates? I'm in the same situation. 

I'm trying again from the start for about the 20th time! 

@RobinFan 

@RobinFan 

I created a test VM and in order to connect to it via RDP I had to add my local public IP to the network security rules. Once I could connect I joined it to the domain just fine. 

Still when I create the WVD hostpool it fails at the same point. 

same issue

I am having the same issue. I created virtual machine and was able to connect to it. But WVD deployment is failed. I have checked the Microsoft.DesktopVirtualization is also registered in my subscription.

Garima2508_0-1662445417364.png

Garima2508_1-1662445448848.png

@Bionicjoeif you are using active directory then below solution might help you.

Open the virtual machine on portal which is acting as Active directory and click on the virtual network in which it resides.
In the DNS servers section enter the private IP of the machine and save.
Start the deployment again from beginning.

Garima2508_0-1662489340333.png