I'm looking to deploy a mixed environment of WVD including pooled and personal desktops. I'm unclear about the set up when creating a personal desktop as the majority of documentation is around pooled desktops. When selecting personal desktop there is then the following 3 options to configure
- The hostpool name
- The default desktop users
- The Total Users
- I will create a custom image prior to deployment through the UI
- I will have ~ 10 users that require a personal desktop
My questions are as follows
- Should all the personal desktops be in the one host pool?
- Should I just have one deployment for all 10 users? i.e. Add in all the users to the default desktop users in the UI
- Should the Total users be set to 10?
- If I use a custom image, could this one image be used for all the personal desktops?
- Should it be a 1 to 1 deployment therefore create a UI deployment for each personal desktop required?
- If the above is the best practise should they all be in the same host pool?
Thanks so much for the feedback Christian. Its a great help having the MS guys actively monitor the forums. One final question on personal desktops. If I create 10 desktops and have 10 users added at time of deployment. Are the personal desktops allocated to the users at a first come first served basis?
user1 logs in first so would get personaldesktop1
user2 logs in second so would get personaldesktop2
and so forth
And then from there on in the allocated desktop is 'persistent' to that user
At the moment, yes, they are only allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. We are working on a feature for "pre-assigned" or "direct assignment" for the personal desktops, where you'll be able to specify that a specific VM will be assigned to a specific user.