Version 1.2.241 of the Windows client available to Insiders

Microsoft

The Insider ring for MSRDC now has version 1.2.241 with some exciting new functionality. This version is expected to go to all users next Tuesday (8/13) so make sure to send us feedback about any concerns.

What's new:
- Per-user and per-device installation options. Per-user doesn't require admin rights. You must first uninstall to switch to a different install scope.
- Users can now customize the display settings for their desktop sessions to meet their needs. Right-click on a desktop and select Settings to get started. This includes switching between single and multi monitors, enabling dynamic resolution or choosing a specific resolution.
- Sessions will now automatically disconnect when the PC goes to sleep or hibernate to prevent reconnection issues.

Quick reminder to set the following registry entry on the client PC to switch to the Insider ring for early validation:

Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSRDC\Policies, Type: REG_SZ, Name: ReleaseRing, Data: insider.

11 Replies
For this week, if you want to test the per-user install, you'll need to first uninstall the old version of the client and then directly install version 1.2.241 from https://query.prod.cms.rt.microsoft.com/cms/api/am/binary/RE3vTr2

@David Belanger We got the notification through the app and install went well, why are you suggesting we delete and reinstall ?

So I've pointed this out in the earlier releases, but I'm having a strange thing happen where if I publish a browser and a shortcut to a url that uses the browser, the icons in the taskbar sometimes get confused. For example, I click on Google Chrome and the taskbar icon that pops up is for the Office 365 login shortcut I published that runs in Chrome. This also happens with Internet Explorer and it's associated shortcuts. Any chance there's a fix so my employees don't get confused? The icons are stored in a file share vm and browsers are installed on each WVD vm in the hostpool.@David Belanger Iconswitch.PNG

@gab_vision1 You only need to uninstall if you would like to move from a per-device install to a per-user install.

@sbuntun Thanks for reporting the issue. Any chance you can file it in Feedback Hub so we can track it. Might be tricky to address based on how the taskbar works but we can have a look.

@David Belanger Hi David,

I notice that the shortcuts generated when I subscribe looks something like this: "C:\Program Files\Remote Desktop\msrdc.exe" "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\rdclientwpf\40c7aada-ea36-4aed-85d5-6fa3562d02cb\7c34549f-ffbc-4492-7dd6-08d6e2d022ba.rdp" /u:xxx@yyy.se /l:2

I have a case where I would make sense to create shortcuts myself outside the "publish/subscribe" model that works for most cases. Is there a supported way of doing this?   

(Case boils down to HQ users currently getting a user login at multiple branches as multiple shortcuts to RDS on their desktops. All 400 branches run in same host pool.)

Are you planning to let the user control redirectprinters in the same way as "use multimon"? If not, is there another way to allow a few select users to enable redirectprinters if I turn it off for the host pool centrally?

@Johan_Eriksson There isn't an officially supported way to accomplish this today.

@Johan_Eriksson Redirection blocked on the server cannot be changed from the client side for security reason.

Similar to display settings, redirections were previously always controlled by the admin and came down with the feed. We started by giving users the ability to update the display settings but I could see us adding the ability to choose redirections on the client also. This would only take effect if they aren't blocked on the server.

If that's something you'd like us to support in the future, feel free to add a request for it in Feedback Hub.

Thanks for your answers.

A perhaps stupid question: When you say I should use feedback hub - do you refer to https://windowsvirtualdesktop.uservoice.com/forums/921118-general or to somewhere else?

(Googled: "feedback hub" wvd)

@Johan_Eriksson From the client itself, if you click on the ellipsis in the top right, you should see an option called Feedback. Clicking this should open up the Feedback Hub app in Windows and allow you to enter feedback.