SOLVED

How-to publish modern universal app as RemoteApp? (Edge)

Brass Contributor

Hello

Trying to figure out how to publish Microsoft Edge as a remote app, has anyone had any luck?

This makes the icon show up, but nothing happens once you click it:

New-RdsRemoteApp -TenantName $myTenantName -HostPoolName $myHostPoolName -AppGroupName $myAppGroupName -Name "Microsoft Edge" -FilePath "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe" -IconPath "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe" -IconIndex "0" -Description "Microsoft Edge"

Trying the way Edge is started from command line (start microsoft-edge:) does not work:
New-RdsRemoteApp : Filepath: 'start microsoft-edge:' is invalid for RemoteAppName.

Neither does the way it's started from Start-Run (microsoft-edge:)
New-RdsRemoteApp : Filepath: 'microsoft-edge:' is invalid for RemoteAppName.

Anyone been able to make it work?

Cheers
11 Replies

@Ola Holtberget Did you ever figure this out? I'm trying to do the same thing and haven't found any documentation or managed to get it to work.

I managed to get this to work...not sure if its the "right" way thou. I created a .lnk shortcut to a modern app (ie. Edge), then I used the path to the .lnk file as the Filepath and the icon at the same path you mentioned in your post.

Thanks for the workaround! I hope there will be a better supported way of doing it instead of using an LNK, but we use what we have untill something better comes along :)
best response confirmed by Ola Holtberget (Brass Contributor)
Solution

This is how it was done for our internal validation

New-RdsRemoteApp $tenant1 $pool1 $appgroup2 -Name Edge -FilePath shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge -IconPath C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe

@Brent Carlson: Thank you for sharing your solution. We will have documentation out there shortly about publishing of modern apps and limitations.

Great, this seems to work. Thanks for the information.

Great - that worked perfectly! Thanks!

@Stefan Georgiev 

Perfect solution to what I was trying to achieve.

Thank-you for posting!

Ben

@Eva Seydl I see this was written in May. Are there any documentation out there now? If so, where? :)

@Stefan Georgiev , la comlet "New-RdsRemoteApp" n'existe pas. C'est "New-RdRemoteApp".

Dans la paramètre « -FilePath », l'utilisation de "shell:xy" ne fonctionne pas. Une autre solution ?

PS C:\> New-RdRemoteApp -CollectionName "MyCollection" -DisplayName "Edge" -FilePath "shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge" -IconPath "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe"
New-RdRemoteApp : Le chemin d’application spécifié
shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge n’est pas valide. Spécifiez un chemin d’accès de
fichier valide.
Au caractère Ligne:1 : 1
+ New-RdRemoteApp -CollectionName ikos -DisplayName Edge -FilePath shel ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,New-RDRemoteApp

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ola Holtberget (Brass Contributor)
Solution

This is how it was done for our internal validation

New-RdsRemoteApp $tenant1 $pool1 $appgroup2 -Name Edge -FilePath shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge -IconPath C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe

View solution in original post