Windows Server 2019 Static IP Address - No Internet

Copper Contributor
Hi,

I am installing Server 2019 Evaluation Version and want to promote it to Domain Controller.

As my understanding of networking is very basic, I am struggling to assign a Static IP Address to my server.

When I go to IPv4 setting and assign any IP address like 192.168.2.100 and save the settings, my internet starts showing No Internet but when I click assign IP address automatically, Internet starts working fine.

I know I am missing something or doing something wrong but someone please guide me on how to do it correctly.

6 Replies

Has it been promoted? A domain controller should have own static ip address listed for DNS (192.168.2.100 in your example) and no others such as router or public DNS. Domain DNS is so members can find and logon to domain. Internet queries would be passed on to the 13 default root hint servers in a top level down fashion or optionally to forwarders. A single domain controller will take 5 to 10 minutes for all services to start up and become available so be patient.

roothints.jpgForwarders1.jpg

Hi,@Dave Patrick 

Thanks for the response buddy but left the server on for the whole day but still Internet is not working after assigning IP address.

I have no clue on how to find a static IP address as I have seen in the videos that when someone assigns a static IP address, their internet still works and I followed the steps thoroughly.

Please if you can or someone can shed light on exactly how to find and assign a Static IP address, it would be great.

Please run;
Dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:%computername% >c:\dcdiag.log
repadmin /showrepl >C:\repl.txt
ipconfig /all > C:\dc1.txt

then put unzipped text files up on OneDrive and share a link.

@Arjun07a 
Hi,

In order to be sure about your set up. Did you configure a NAT router features on your server?

You'll need to have both internal and external switches for networking. The internal switch you'll use for the static (internal IP) and the external you'll use which DHCP address for internet exploring.

Let me know how did you configure your network to be sure I answered your question.

@Arjun07atry cmd (command prompt) type {ipconfig /all} without the brackets. So I'm more of an advanced users that uses simple tricks. Just keep these simple steps in mind.

should show this. Concentrate on these.

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 and the DNS will be the same. Unless you prefer Google DNS, etc.

Then just enter them into there designated  areas. for about two seconds it will show 'No Internet'. then it will show you 'Connected'

@Arjun07a 

Realize this is a post from ancient times, but for anyone else who stumbles upon this. I have an answer.

I followed tutorial steps as well and originally thought my consumer router was providing DNS services, so I assigned the DNS the same IP as my Gateway. Well, my Gateway was automatically getting DNS from my service provider.

• Updated DNS to IP being provided by Internet Service Provider (Comcast) and resolved my issue.

Will be installing USG Gateway Pro soon, and likely using Cloudflare DNS.