Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Windows Server 2019 Fresh Active Directory Promotion Bugs

Copper Contributor

Hi Everyone,

Anyone having issue with a fresh domain controller promotion issue? I've found quite a number of users mention about Start Menu unable to change after promoting the server to a domain controller however seems no one mention about this.

What I encounter is apart from the issue with the Start Menu, anything that relating to administrative privileges it will say "Windows cannot access the specific device path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access them" also the "Authenticated Users" is not inputted into the C drive and the "Windows" folder.

Cheers,

Yong Jin

6 Replies

@cyongjin @Dave Patrick Same issue here.  I demoted the server and the issue persists even as a standalone server.  Did you ever get a work around?

I'm not sure what to do but to back off and try to re-install.

Same issue here.  I demoted the server and the issue persists even as a standalone server.  Did you ever get a work around?

I'm not sure what to do but to back off and try to re-install.

I'd start a new thread detailing your issues.

Well there seems isn't a fixed but a temporary workaround was posted by someone previously and I've tested it works. By disabling Continue Experience in GPO you can get to change the Start Menu but you will have to do it everytime you logon a bit irritating but better than cannot be change. I'm still waiting for a perm fixed which doesn't seems to be on anyone list :(

-- Update and possible workaround --

I noticed that after I demoted the server from a domain controller, but still part of my domain and logged in as a Domain Admin, that if I ran control.exe As Administrator, I was able to make changes.   On a hunch I checked at UAC was turned on by looking at the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system - EnableLUA was set to 0x0000001

I changed this value to zero and rebooted.  I was then able to change whatever I wanted without the error message.   I was also able to logoff and back on without having to make further changes.

I promoted the server back to a domain controller and all was well there too.  

I'll do some more testing and report back if the situation changes.  

@jshack01 

THANK YOU!!! Ran into this issue when adding Windows Server 2019 as a DC into our current domain.  Server would never fully boot, stuck at spinning circle.  Re-booted into safe mode and modified the registry, rebooted and presto! Everything worked.   Had to do this same thing on another Windows Server 2019, hopefully Microsoft will come out with a fix.