SOLVED

Windows Cannot find Microsoft software license terms - During Server 2016 install

Copper Contributor

I am getting the following error when trying to install Server 2016 Standard. Any idea of the fix?

28418115_10213990488423689_821790278_o.jpg

90 Replies

How are you installing it? 

If it is an iso file that you have attached to a VM etc... then redownload the iso file. it has become corrupted.

If you have made a USB drive or cd from an iso file, try remaking them. If that fails, then download the iso file again.

I hope that helps. If you have any further issues let me know. happy to help.

best response confirmed by Dave Patrick (MVP)
Solution

It's possible the media is corrupt in which case I'd try downloading from another location to avoid the same copy ISP has cached on their systems. I've also seen this with HP intelligent provisioning in which case I'd ask HP about a newer version of tool compatible with server 2016. Also some hypervisors such as VMWare add an additional floppy drive that causes install media to look for licensing on floppy, in this case remove the virtual floppy from guest and try again. Also try;

Bypassing Easy Install

1. First start VMware Workstation
  2. Create A New Virtual Machine
  3. Select the option “I will install the operating system later”
  4. Then your new virtual machine will be added to your virtual library.
  5. Double click on your new Virtual Machine to start it.
  6. Then it will prompt that an OS is not installed and provide an option to insert the OS installation media.
  7. Simply click on Change CD/DVD Settings to select your ISO media then Restart VM.

Hello,

this can happen if you use dynamic memory and you have, for example, 512mb ram as start up memory.

VM with Windows Server is sometimes needed at least 700 mb as a start up memory, try to increase to at least 700 MB this should help.

This was the fix for me. We were building a Win10 Pro template on Hyper-V and had dynamic RAM selected. Shutdown, set to static RAM and restarted. The installation completed without issue.

I have tried all the processes for installing Windows Server 2016 into VMware workstation. I am now getting different responses as follows:

@John Reyes wrote:

I have tried all the processes for installing Windows Server 2016 into VMware workstation. I am now getting different responses as follows:

For VMWare problems I'd ask for help over here.

https://communities.vmware.com/welcome

Had this same error installing W2K16 eval under VMWare workstation 15.

For me the solution was to remove the virtual floppy drive VMW adds by default

I have the same issue on HPE DL360 Gen10 (Server 2016 Standard Eval german).
32 GB RAM, no VMware.
Any ideas?

Best regards,

Carsten

@Carsten Zimmermann wrote:

I have the same issue on HPE DL360 Gen10 (Server 2016 Standard Eval german).
32 GB RAM, no VMware.
Any ideas?

Please start a new question.

This worked for me.

Of all the things! O_o

@Nigel Goodchild wrote:

Had this same error installing W2K16 eval under VMWare workstation 15.

For me the solution was to remove the virtual floppy drive VMW adds by default

Removing the Floppy drive worked for me as well. Thanks Nigel!

@Jiří Duchoň wrote:

Hello,

this can happen if you use dynamic memory and you have, for example, 512mb ram as start up memory.

VM with Windows Server is sometimes needed at least 700 mb as a start up memory, try to increase to at least 700 MB this should help.

Having the same problem installing Windows 10 on Hyper-V, this is the solution.

This one solved the issue, thank you

Good catch! My templates at work don't have any extra peripherals configured, but I was starting from scratch with my home lab and forgot to clean these up. Thanks!
Thank you very much. I was trying to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V and i didn't know what was wrong.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dave Patrick (MVP)
Solution

It's possible the media is corrupt in which case I'd try downloading from another location to avoid the same copy ISP has cached on their systems. I've also seen this with HP intelligent provisioning in which case I'd ask HP about a newer version of tool compatible with server 2016. Also some hypervisors such as VMWare add an additional floppy drive that causes install media to look for licensing on floppy, in this case remove the virtual floppy from guest and try again. Also try;

Bypassing Easy Install

1. First start VMware Workstation
  2. Create A New Virtual Machine
  3. Select the option “I will install the operating system later”
  4. Then your new virtual machine will be added to your virtual library.
  5. Double click on your new Virtual Machine to start it.
  6. Then it will prompt that an OS is not installed and provide an option to insert the OS installation media.
  7. Simply click on Change CD/DVD Settings to select your ISO media then Restart VM.

View solution in original post