Win 2016 1607 shows Win 10 Pro Clients offline after 1903 update

Copper Contributor

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Yesterday I updated 2 of my 3 laptops to Win 10 Pro build 1903.  Since then my Win 2016 essential server (build 1607) is showing both laptops offline, so not getting backed up.

Both laptops are definitely online.  They can access the server fine, even the Windows Connector is showing as connected to the server and can open the Server Dashboard.

The third laptop (still on Win 10 Pro build 1809) is showing online and is being backed up.

I feel this is very much a windows software issue, but in case the hardware is:

3 x Dell XPS laptops (models 9380, 9350 and 9365)

1 x HP Gen 8 Microserver.

All up to date with all hardware and software patches, except the Dell XPS 6365, which hasn't had Win 10 Pro 1903 yet.

4 Replies

@BonaireDonkey 

I just updates two of my systems and I am having the same experience that you are.  Has anyone posted a fix for this?

I think the most common fix is to reinstall the client tools.

@Brian_Demay So the laptop that was updated I rolled back to the previous build and it started working immediately.

I then uninstalled the connector on the laptops, did the update to the latest build, then reinstalled the connector.  That worked.

The update breaks the connector but reinstallation sorted it out.  Perhaps my rollback, uninstall, update, reinstall is more than needed, but it worked completely.

Glad to hear it helps.