Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Upgrading Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 to 2016

Copper Contributor

Hello all,

I have a couple of Hyper-V Server 2012R2 boxes  (the free 'core' offering). Is anyone aware of procedures or documentation to perform an upgrade of these boxes to Hyper-V Server 2016??

Many thanks,

Graham

8 Replies

I'm curious about the same thing.

I've not seen any articles or documents detailing it so I'm going to just dive in next week and try an in-place upgrade on my dev server.

The in-place upgrade works smoothly on Windows Server 2012 R2 HyperV to Server 2016.  There cant be any open 'saved' sessions and clean shutdown all VM's is recommended before starting the upgrade process.

It has always been the cleanest option to power off your VMs, then upgrade the host. Never leave your VMs running, the saved memory states can cause issues as exposed features and capabilities can change between versions.

My preference is to do a clean install instead of an in place upgrade. You can migrate or export the VMs prior to the clean install.

No matter what method you use, don't forget to upgrade the VM integration tools when the host upgrade is complete.

Ed

I prefer doing this: Create a cluster with your Hyper-V servers (failover role), then move (live migration) the VMs from the Host that will be upgraded and perform the upgrade.

Also you could perform a clean install as well.

Note: You mus have available RAM and CPU on the hosts to support the adicional VMs coming from the hosts you want to upgrade

Given that there is shared storage available to host the VM's (SAN CSV or Windows FileServer) that would seem like the way to go.

In our clusters we evict 1 node to perform a clean Windows 2016 install. After the upgrade and reconfiguration we re-join the node to the cluster. Rinse repeat for all cluster nodes.

I always prefer a clean install over a inplace upgrade for an OS.

Regards,

Remco