Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Upgrade Server 2016 Standard > Server 2019 Standard - can't keep files

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I tried upgrading from Server 2016 Standard to Server 2019 Standard (Desktop) but the installer keeps telling me that I can't keep my files and settings because of a different Edition.

Tried both Standard and Standard Desktop.

dism /online /Get-CurrentEdition says "ServerStandard"

How can I upgrade and keep my files and settings?

28 Replies

How are you trying? To perform an in-place upgrade try running setup.exe from the root of the install media from within windows.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started-19/install-upgrade-migrate-19

Did you ever get this sorted? I'm also having the same issue - using MSDN versions of Server 2016 and Server 2019.

@BobBuilder1111 wrote:

Did you ever get this sorted? I'm also having the same issue - using MSDN versions of Server 2016 and Server 2019.

To perform an in-place upgrade try running setup.exe from the root of the install media from within windows.

Hi Dave,

That's exactly what I'm attempting to do - under Windows Server 2016 desktop logged in as administrator, open the ISO under Windows Explorer (mounts the image), double-click setup.exe, click through entering MSDN key, eventually get to the screen where in-place upgrade is unavailable - only option is a bare-metal reinstall.

So I just now tried using MSDN media (en_windows_server_2019_x64_dvd_4cb967d8.iso) and it works without issue. You probably wouldn't be able to go core -> GUI or vice versa

2019WTK.jpg

2019RTI.jpg

Hi Dave,

Thanks for checking - unfortunately not what I'm experiencing. I'm trying to upgrade GUI -> GUI.

May need to investigate what applications and or roles could be blocking an in-place upgrade.

Same problem here: Going from 2016 Eval to 2019 Eval (Both Standard Editions, upgrade with or without GUI).

Previous install media delivered via download from a MS Reseller gave me a different error:

"This version is not current" with all 2016 Server patches performed. I am told that upgrading from the Eval is the problem, however the 2016 edition of the upgrade guide explicitly states it was possible to upgrade from an Eval. Purchasing 2016 for the sole purpose of upgrading to 2019 (paid) seems unreasonable.

Anyone have the same issue?

@Dave Patrick wrote:

May need to investigate what applications and or roles could be blocking an in-place upgrade.

Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 3.22.44 PM.png

@mactech wrote:

Same problem here: Going from 2016 Eval to 2019 Eval (Both Standard Editions, upgrade with or without GUI).

You cannot in-place upgrade to a higher version of windows in any of these scenarios from licensed to evaluation, evaluation to licensed, evaluation to evaluation.

So a licensed 2016 install cannot be upgraded to 2019 trial but can be upgraded in-place with a 2019 key?

I seem to remember a downgrade option where a key for a previous version was issued with a new license purchase. Is that a thing or just wishful thinking on my part?

@mactech wrote:
So a licensed 2016 install cannot be upgraded to 2019 trial but can be upgraded in-place with a 2019 key?

You can upgrade Server 2016 to Server 2019 but you will need to use retail or volume media. Evaluation media cannot be used in this scenario. 

did you get it fix? im having same issue?@Andreas Petzhold 

@LaythServpro wrote:

im having same issue?

What issue are you having?

Thanks for replying, but this is not fixing anything @Dave Patrick 

I would like if you have the steps how to fix it

It may be currently blocked (based on article), but again this is a wild guess. I'd suggest starting a support case here with product support.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hub/4343728/support-for-business

@LaythServpro 

Inplace upgrade does only work within editions - Don`t know about upgrading EVAL versions.

How Long does EVAL versions work before time bombed?

Best Regards