Server 2019 1903

Copper Contributor

So I have a Server 2019 1809 right now for my home lab and was looking to try and get it up to 1903.  I googled and googled and the nets found me nothing other than the press release about server 1903.

Does anyone have some insight on how I can get my Server up to 1903?

Thanks in advance!

7 Replies

Sounds like you currently have Server 2019 LTSC installed? Windows Server v1903 is on the semi-annual channel so in order to make the move you'll need to clean install it. Also note it is a core only OS.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started-19/servicing-channels-19

Hi@ckasprzak 

I would say because it is a home lab you could migrate roles and data and do a Clean Install option. 

or

Locate the setup media for Windows Server 2019, either via USB or DVD.

Run setup.exe by double-clicking it:

f39beb31fce373d697286672763188d9.png

Click Yes to enable setup to proceed:

yes.png

use Download updates, drivers and optional features option. Click Next:

yes 2.png

follow the instruction to complete the process.

Thank you

Dav,

@Deletedso using the install setup for 1809 will allow me to update the current install to 1903? Will it allow me to create a 1903 USB installer?

@ckasprzak wrote:

so using the install setup for 1809 will allow me to update the current install to 1903? Will it allow me to create a 1903 USB installer?

Sorry, no it isn't possible.

@ckasprzak

Hi@ckasprzak 

You need to try it.

Thank you

Dav,

@Deleted wrote:

I would say YES and No

hilarious

@ckasprzak 

I have been trying to track down the .ISO files to do installs with since this Blog posting on 5/21 said they are available: https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2019/05/21/windows-server-version-1903-now-generally-...

It says: 

Get Windows Server version 1903:

I have a 2019 Volume License and Software Assurance but the downloads don't show up in the service center for me.  I opened a case with VLSC support who has been screwing around with it for about a week now.  They finally came back with an answer that it will be available on July 3rd in the VLSC.

I don't know who to believe at MS.   I pointed the blog post out to the support people but they brushed it off.   It also appears comments were closed on the blog post so there is no way to question it.

So it sounds like we are going to just have to wait.