Problem installing Cumulative Update Windows Server 2016

Copper Contributor

Hi!

We have a Citrix VDA running on Windows Server 2016, and trying to install Cumulative Update 2018-10 but after the restart the process stops at 99% and then the installation reverts.

Same thing happens when I try Cumulative Update 2018-11.

But all the other Updates works, for example:

• 2018-11, update for Windows Server 2016

We have tried the following things:

• Renamed the softwaredistribution folder
  • Tried manually install
  • Run DISM-commands with no errors
  • Run SFC /Scannow no errors

The error I see in the log is:

Event 20, WindowsUpdateClient

Installation error: It was not possible to install the Update, cause error 0x800F0922: 2018-10, Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016

Do anyone here have a suggestion what I could try more?

Best regards

Gustav

8 Replies

"But all the other Updates works, for example: 2018-11, update for Windows Server 2016"

Not sure what is meant here.

A shot in the dark.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/4094128

"But all the other Updates works, for example: 2018-11, update for Windows Server 2016"

I meant that the only updates thats have problems with the installation is Cumulative Updates, every other update works to install.

Thank you for the respond, I tried to clear the Windows\Temp but with no success.

Best regards

Gustav

Have the same issue. Did you ever find a fix for this?

same problem

can be solve ??

@9POL wrote:

same problem

can be solve ??

I'd start a new thread detailing your issues, no one knows what you're asking.

Most failures I have seen when installing cumulative updates have been related to disk space. The cumulative updates are rather large. If the C drive has less than 5GB of free space I would recommend cleaning it up or expanding the drive, then try again.

Regards,

Akshay 

Windows Admin at Apps4Rent

@Gustav Larsmark  

Most failures I have seen when installing cumulative updates have been related to disk space. The cumulative updates are rather large. If the C drive has less than 5GB of free space I would recommend cleaning it up or expanding the drive, then try again.

Regards,

Akshay

Windows Admin at Apps4Rent

@djello

@Dave Patrick 

Sorry for the late answer and I´m sad to tell you that we never found a solution for the problem.

After I tried for a long time on my own, I created a case with the professional support.

We tried many different fixes without solving the issue, so the final fix / workaround was to reinstall the hole image. But there could be one solution for you to try and that´s the in-place upgrade that I have used as a fix for a similar problem before, but we had a configuration this time that wasn’t playing along so nice with this.

Hope that maybe could help you! If you have more questions regarding this just tell me.

@Akshay_Manethe server that got this problem had 23 gb free space on the C-drive

Best regards

Gustav