File/Folder size bug - Server 2019

Steel Contributor

Hello all,

I did a quick search here but couldn't spot any other threads on my issue.

Discovered a weird bug in Server 2019 today. We're migrating a client away from SBS 2011 to a new Server 2019 box. After Robocopying 120GB over, Server 2019 is only reporting the total size of the folder is 24GB.

Robocopy reported moving over the fully 120GB, treesize is showing the folder size is 120GB and the disk is showing that it has 120GB less space now than when it started. Doing a side-by-side check shows that all the files and folders are indeed there.

Only other reference I see is on Technet but it doesn't appear to have been any progress in fixing it.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/6016cb6f-ce2d-4630-afef-7d945eb2b408/incor...

This isn't a show stopper, but not great that a pretty basic feature doesn't seem to work. Weirdly, we moved over about 20GB of application data earlier in the week from the SBS to the same 2019 box and that's showing up correctly. 

Anyone else had this? Anything that can be done to get it fixed?

5 Replies

Hi @HidMov,

This was a bug already in Windows Server 2016, however I couldn't find any official article about this issue or if it has been fixed.

It also seems to indeed exist in Windows Server 2019 as reported over here:

Windows File Explorer Not Showing Correct Folder Size If Folder Named 'Applications'

You can also open an incident with Microsoft support, you will not be charged for bugs.

The process however "appears" to charge you, you will need to provide a credit card (if you do not have a support contract), but when it is determined that it is a bug, no charge will be applied to your credit card.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hub/4343728/support-for-business

Best regards,
Leon

Thanks @Leon Laude 

Just had a look through the directory structure and can see quite a few files and folders with 'applic' in the name. I'll get a support ticket raised for MS to look at more closely; like I said it's not a game changer but could definitely cause some headaches down the line.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi

we went into the absolutely same issue... Migrating files from sbs 2011 to server 2019... 

Do you have found any solution for this issue??

regards

Oberoon

Hi @oberoon 

Not yet, but I must admit I've not looked into it as it's low down on my priority list at the moment. I did find that when I moved a second set files/folders from the same server to the same server Windows reports the correct data usage which is very strange. If I find any more information I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Mark

@HidMov 

Hi Mark 

thanks! we will come back to you too,  if we find any solution. 

Regards

Simone