Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Beginning SDN

Copper Contributor

Hello!

I have just gone through the SDN demo, and scripts to create a test environment with all of the 2016 SDN capabilities. However I am finding it overkill for what I need- and I am unsure how to setup something simpler. We have been on Hyper-V since the beginning and are wanting to migrate to a more hybrid approach where we can run VMS in Azure and on Prem.

We still have a legacy network design that is not very cloud conducive. Our main sub 10.0.0.0/24 includes all VMS and physical servers, with the exception of Hyper-V Hosts which I made a VLAN for. Our client workstations connect via 10.0.1.0/24. My goal is to create a separate network for VMS that is reachable via 10.0.1.0/24 -- I don't need all the SLB at this point. As well as a separate network for Dev/Testing etc. Then once I get Azure onboard I can create my connection to it and run a VM either on prem or on Azure and have it keep the same IP

It sounds like I need the gateway role and a network controller. But I can't figure out what I need to do. Any thoughts? Thanks!

0 Replies