Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

2 node failover cluster cant ping cluster network name from not owner node

Brass Contributor

Hello

I have 2 node failover cluster based on server 2016 server. node1 is owner of cluster. I cant ping cluster network name only from cluster's owner. So I cant ping cluster name from node2 and on node2 Server Manager shows error to communicate to cluster object. But cluster status is ok. If I change node's owner ping behavior will be contra versa.

I have checked on another cluster, the same.

//Alexander

16 Replies
Are you able to supply the network configuration for both servers?
Yes, with network and cluster everiyhing ok. It is just annoying that on node- not owner server manager always shows "Target computer is not accesibale" about cluster network name and I cant ping it name. And in logs I have error.

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer CLU-PRO-BTSQL02.domain.local using any of the configured protocols; requested by PID 199c (C:\Windows\system32\ServerManager.exe).
eventid 10028
Do you have the windows firewall enabled? You could do a test and disable the firewall on both servers and then test again.

If this works we would know it's the firewall blocking.

You could look at enableding file and print sharing on both servers also. This should open up the ports you need.

Hope that helps

Richard.
with network everything ok, I still dont know what the issue

I am having the exact same problem. Has anyone provided any resolution to this problem?

Thanks

Ayaz

Are you able to ping the cluster name from another pc or server?

Hi, Alexander.

You may check in the DNS console if the cluster name is registered. If it is not, create an entry (A or AAAA) for it, and clear the DNS client cache.

Cheers

from cluster owner I can ping cluster name, from node2 (not owner) I cant ping. On node2 I could resolve cluster name, also in DNS this A record already exists

Did you ever get this resolved?

I have the same issue 
there is any update ?

No resolution in my datacenter.  We *think* the issue is a network related issue as the issue impact physical devices and virtual devices.  We are engaging a consulting firm to assist with our situation.

@Dusty Lane - did you manage to find out what caused this?

@alexander tikhomirov  did you ever managed to get this sorted? 

Hello @alexander tikhomirov , 

I'm facing same issue on production which have windows server 2016 in Azure VMs. with Alwayson availability group configured on it. 

Did you get and fix for this ? 

@darshansh705 I managed to fix this by enabling HA ports in the Azure Load Balancer (standard Load Balancer). That seems to have fixed the issue. 

By the way I have SQL Server 2019 Enterprise on Windows Server 2019. 

Set the following Load Balancing rule in the Azure Load Balancer for WFCS. 

Setting 

Description 

Value 

Name 

Text 

WSFCEndPoint_LBRule 

IP Version 

Type of IP to be used 

IPv4 

Frontend IP address 

Choose an address 

10.10.xx.xx  

(WFCSEndPoint) 

HA Ports 

Enable LB on all ports 

Select (Checked) 

Port 

Use the port for the availability group listener 

Backend Port 

This field is not used when Floating IP is set for direct server return 

Backend Pool 

Backend pool for Cluster Nodes 

SQLPRD_BEP 

Health Probe 

The name you specified for the probe 

WSFCEndPointProbe 

Session Persistence 

Drop down list 

None 

Idle Timeout 

Minutes to keep a TCP connection open 

Floating IP (direct server return) 

Enabled 

The source of this information is this article : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-sql/virtual-machines/windows/availability-group-manuall...

The article does not talk about HA ports because it is a Standard Azure Load Balancer feature and the article was written using a Basic  Azure Load Balancer.