Where is Hyper-V Server 2019?!

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Brass Contributor

Anyone know when MS will post it again for d-load??  Very frustrating since I need to rebuild my Hyper-V server and the new image is not here for dload!!  :((
(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-hyper-v-server-2019)

HELP!!!

57 Replies

@Dave Patrick Ummmmm....thanks but....No, I do.  If you read my post carefully, I said "Action Pack".  Not referring to the free eval.  thanks a lot for getting my hopes up, lol.

@rspeaker wrote:

read my post carefully, I said "Action Pack". 

Nothing missed, install the evaluation and convert it to full using your product key.

@Dave Patrick no way?!  you are saying the Action Pack product key will activate the eval version?  That usually does not work since the eval builds use a whole set of different activation keys.  Have you tried it?

The Server 2019 evaluation can be activated using any volume or retail key.

@Dave Patrick  i have heard rumors on this being true however the Action Pack is not a "Volume" or "Retail" subscription model.  its a totally different subscription base.  forgive me for my continued skepticism since you haven't answered my question on if you actually tried it with an AP key, which seems to be a NO.  nevertheless, i should try it just for sh1ts and grins and see it works.  wont hurt anything. thanks.

@Mary Hoffman  off topic for a moment, but you wanna weigh in on this?  any validity to what Dave says here? :))

Well there's volume, retail, and OEM product key channels. OEM can be tied to OEM distribution media. Volume and retail product keys will work to activate evaluation media.

I'd ask for help here if you didn't want to try it.

https://partner.microsoft.com/en-US/support/

and start a new thread for further discussion if needed since off topic here.

Evaluation copies do not need a key to activate to run as-is. If you wish to convert an Evaluation edition to a production edition, you cannot go directly to Volume from Eval. You can only convert to Retail and you need a Windows Server 2019 Retail product key to do it. From there, I believe you can convert to Volume if you have a Volume license agreement and key. Information on conversion of Eval to Retail is here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/supported-upgrade-paths. Unfortunately I am not all that familiar with the Action Pack licensing agreement so I cannot speak to whether that includes the appropriate keys. 

Just checking, does this confirm that I can use the earlier ISO and patch and there is no need for a new clean install when the new ISO drops?
Or are there still bugs in the last ISO that the patch can't cover?

@Mary Hoffman  THANK YOU for confirming what I already knew and it seems some users try to refute! ;))

Like I said, I highly doubt my AP keys will work to unlock the Eval version and I really hope the AP group will post the full-featured ISO SOON in my AP portal!

If you obtained your initial version from a Microsoft official release point, and you manually install the patch that released a week ago Friday (the KB mentioned earlier in this post), you should be good.

I'll add this bit of info. I think the original released ISO for Hyper-V Server 2019 will not work in some cases. Pretty sure it suffers the same issue the Full Server 2019 ISO did for some or all 12th Gen Dell Servers. Unless you boot in BIOS mode and not UEFI, you will get a boot loop. Fixed in KB4476976 (or the re-released ISO for Full Server 2019).  I was just testing this combo of using the Hyper-V 2019 ISO and was then going to patch for RDP with KB4482887, but after install using the October ISO, the Dell R520 I was using went into a boot loop. As soon as the Windows Icon shows on screen it reboots to configuring Memory. I think I'd have to slipstream KB4476976 into a custom ISO.   I guess I'll wait for the official release.

I installed the server using the ("original") rs5 iso and for some reason that install was not picking up any Windows Updates patches to the server OS.  The same server installed with Hyper-V 2016 works fine.  I have not installed the patch that was mentioned; perhaps that would resolve it.  But since I'm not in a hurry to deploy the server, I'm going to wait for the re-released iso.

@Lancaster84 If you have the original Hyper-V RTM build, you may manually apply KB4482887  and from that point on you should be offered updates via WU as usual. Without that update, the original RTM build would not be offered updates. This was one of a number of issues that we needed to address before re-releasing the updated image.

@Mary Hoffman I manually applied KB4482887 to original installation of Hyper-V RTM build that I installed in October before it was pulled, and even with this KB4482887 applied, it seems that the server is not offered with latest 2019-03 CU KB4489899 via scan for updates using sconfig.cmd or via PowerShell.

I can see the KB4482887 installed, to be sure I've also manually applied the latest SSU package,KB4470788 but scan for updates isn't still offering 2019-03 CU KB4489899 yet.

PS C:\> Get-HotFix | Select HotFixID, InstalledOn

HotFixID InstalledOn
-------- -----------
KB4486553 3/12/2019 12:00:00 AM
KB4470788 2/10/2019 12:00:00 AM
KB4480056 2/10/2019 12:00:00 AM
KB4482887 3/11/2019 12:00:00 AM

And scan for Windows Updates does not offer any newer CU (just Defender definitions updates).

PS C:\> $ScanResult=Invoke-CimMethod -Namespace "root/Microsoft/Windows/WindowsUpdate" -ClassName "MSFT_WUOperations" -MethodName ScanForUpdates -Arguments @{SearchCriteria="IsInstalled=0"}
PS C:\> $ScanResult.Updates
PS C:\>

Is there anything else needed to do except manual installation of the KB KB4482887 or the latest 2019-03 CU is not yet offered automatically to Hyper-V servers intentionally? To be sure, I checked and on regular Windows Server 2019 the latest CU (KB4489899) is already offered to install, when checking for updates via sconfig.cmd.

Cheers

Vl.

@Mary Hoffman   OK, Im not totally sure what I am about to ask, but...

In the past, there was a "Hyper-V 201x" ISO I could download from my.visualstudio.com, which was basically the "free"/"already licensed" version of Hyper-V server.

Will this be the case here also?  Is that what is hoped for at the end of the month?  Will my.visualstudio.com get it earlier than the general population?

Also, Im just curious, and I hope this isnt hijacking the thread, but is there any official word on whether the "MSDN" server 2019 ISOs on my.visualstudio.com will be updated like Win10 has had?  Like "Windows server 2019 (Updated March 2019)" or similar?

@Deleted Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019 will be available as a free download on the Microsoft Evaluation Center. Although I cannot commit to a date, it has been our practice to refresh the published Windows Server LTSC media at least once some months after initial release by applying the latest cumulative update and re-publishing the updated media. 

@machv Thanks for letting us know. We'll try and reproduce the issue in-house and see what the issue is.

Hey, folks, this post has gotten quite lengthy and includes multiple issues which is making it increasingly harder to follow/respond to. I'm going to close it to new comments. Please start new posts and try and keep them limited to a single issue per post. Thanks, all!