Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019 is live on the Microsoft Evaluation Center!!

Microsoft
33 Replies

@Jim Wooldridge Understood.  We didn't do this in production, but in-place upgrades have been a handy for us to update our dev environments without having to move VMs around and needing additional hardware.

@DannyBoy2042 

Hyper-V Server upgrades aren't officially supported (nor has the validation of upgrades of various configurations of Hyper-V Server been conducted). Point well made that the install experience should handle and communicate this better. I can put upgrades on the potential feature list for future versions, but I do want to be clear that this isn't supported.

Jim 

I understand the value here for sure.

The latest download for Hyper-V Server on the Eval site is 17763 (1809). Does anyone know when Hyper-V Server 1903 (18362) might be release? I would really like to use FoD 1903.

@kgncc Microsoft Hyper-V Server is part of the Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC). It only releases when we release the LTSC version of Windows Server, every 2-3 years. 1903 was a Semi-Annual Channel release, so there is no 1903 version of stand-alone Hyper-V Server.

@Jim Wooldridge If upgrades are not supported in any way, why is it even an option on the installer? Shouldnt it only allow clean installs?

@Jim Wooldridge 

I have tried both options in the installation UI of Hyper-V Server 2019: Either keep files (which I guess means upgrade) or delete all files (which I guess means clean install).  Either way, the installation fails and automatically reverts back to the original Hyper-V Server 2016 that I had running before trying the installation.  Currently, if I simply run setup.exe without any arguments, there is no way I can install Hyper-V Server 2019 on a machine running Hyper-V Server 2016.  Also, I would like to comment that the new setup UI leaves a vast amount to be desired.  The "clean install" options claims that it will delete all files, but it does not.  I also didn't see a way to specify the installation location.

In the interest of saving everyone's valuable time, it appears that Hyper-V Server 2019 no longer provides the ability to perform an in-place upgrade. Additionally running setup.exe on an existing Hyper-V Server (checked with 2012 R2 and 2016) and performing either of the setup options (upgrade or clean install) will result in a failed installation. Just tested these options with the latest ISO (17763.737.190906-2324.rs5_release_svc_refresh_SERVERHYPERCORE_OEM_x64FRE_en-us_1.ISO as of writing).

The only way to install Hyper-V Server 2019 is to boot from the ISO and perform a clean install.

It'd be nice if Microsoft documented this somewhere, especially as it's a behavioural change from past releases.

Thanks for reporting this. We're investigating the issue.

Any update on in-place upgrade?

@kamalswami  Please refer to Jim Wooldridge's response on this thread from July: "Hyper-V Server upgrades aren't officially supported (nor has the validation of upgrades of various configurations of Hyper-V Server been conducted). Point well made that the install experience should handle and communicate this better. I can put upgrades on the potential feature list for future versions, but I do want to be clear that this isn't supported." Hyper-V is only released along with our LTSC versions so a new version is not expected in the short-term.  At this point, we are still investigating options.

@Mary Hoffman 

Not being able to inplace upgrade to Hyper-V Server 2019 would not be an issue if after a clean install it would be easy to reapply configurations to the new Host.

Neither the less, it would be an appreciated feature in future Hyper-V Server Releases.

Thanks for taking this to the feature list.

best regards

Simon_Ho

I would like to ask what part of the upgrade is not supported? I mean, it isn't like we are doing this through a hack, it is built into the Microsoft written menu options.

You aren't going to support it but are advertising upgradeability as a feature. 

Why did you spend development cycles writing UI menus and options to upgrade? Processes to check for upgrade blockers? To waste all of your time? To waste all of our time?

I don't understand, can you please explain this to me since I really don't understand what the point was except to waste our time. I am serious, this is not intended to be a smartass comment. Please give us a better answer than "I do want to be clear that this isn't supported."

Thank you,

Mike Finney

@Mary Hoffman Can you please give us an update on this? Since the upgrade options are already built into the menus, it seems like this is a bug fix and not a feature request.

Thank you!