SOLVED
Home

How are you expected to adminster nanoserver inside container if powershell is removed?

Highlighted
Gregory Suvalian
Occasional Contributor

How are you expected to adminster nanoserver insid...

As per release notes nano server was optimized by removing powershell from it. How are you expected to administer it (or build using dockerfile) for that matter if no powershell is available?

• Containers
6 Replies

RE: How are you expected to adminster nanoserver i...

good question

Re: How are you expected to adminster nanoserver i...

You can always install PowerShell when creating your own Nano image.

RE: How are you expected to adminster nanoserver i...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt708805(v=vs.85).aspx "Nano Server does not support a local session, it must be accessed remotely."

Re: RE: How are you expected to adminster nanoserv...

Yes, so once you access nanoserver remotely, what do you on console if there is no powershell?

Solution

With a Dockerfile, the multi-stage builds introduced in Docker 17.05 and COPY deployment.

Here is an example to put Node.js into a nanoserver-insider image without PowerShell: https://github.com/StefanScherer/dockerfiles-windows/blob/07cedcf2cc93e669bba9c961121feda6f43dab59/n...

If you need PowerShell and can't deploy with just COPY instructions and simple environment changes with setx.exe, then you can use "FROM microsoft/nanoserver-insider-powershell" which is slighly bigger than the "microsoft/nanoserver-insider" image.

I did not realize that there is separate image with powershell baked in. Based on release anouncement it looked like that there will be no base images anymore with powershell.

Related Conversations
Create private channel in a team
Catalin Prata  in  Microsoft Teams  on
22 Replies
Holy contacts Batman! (search contact list)
John Pan  in  Skype for Business Users  on
2 Replies
Get Teams details
Vinod Poojary  in  Microsoft Teams  on
23 Replies
Excel crashing
Eric Maillebiau  in  Microsoft Teams  on
5 Replies
Accessing Team Calendar on iPhone
Abbas Jaffar Ali  in  Microsoft Teams  on
8 Replies
Inserting links