SOLVED

insider preview 17074 not working

Brass Contributor

Same as the last three updates - gets stuck at the windows logo with no spinning dots. Have to power off and revert to 17035.

error log:

2018-01-13 12:30:32, Error MOUPG Finalize: Error reading narrator reg key: [0x80070002]
2018-01-13 12:33:00, Error SP pSPRemoveUpgradeRegTree: failed to delete reg tree HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade[gle=0x00000005]
2018-01-13 12:33:32, Error [0x080831] MIG CSIAgent: Invalid xml format: FormatException: Component with display name: Plugin/{52776FBF-403C-49cc-b7cb-dd557f36096A} already loaded __cdecl Mig::CMXEMigrationXml::CMXEMigrationXml(class Mig::CPlatform *,class UnBCL::String *,class UnBCL::XmlDocument *,class UnBCL::String *,class UnBCL::String *)
2018-01-13 12:33:50, Error CSI 00000001 (F) 80220008 [Error,Facility=FACILITY_STATE_MANAGEMENT,Code=8] #144468# from CWcmScalarInstanceCore::GetCurrentValue(options = 393216, status = '(null)', value = { type: 40972, bytes ( 12 :( 65006e002d00550053000000 })
[gle=0x80004005]
2018-01-13 12:36:56, Error [0x0808fe] MIG Plugin {526D451C-721A-4b97-AD34-DCE5D8CD22C5}: [shmig] Failed to get preferred homegroup with hr=0x80070490

69 Replies

I got it upgraded with Cristian's fix. I downloaded an ISO for Build 17074 and extracted the contents to a hard drive and used set up from there. The previous build messed with the Windows Update Service so I could not get any new builds. But it appears a lot of people are having trouble with the install and I suspect that these problems are related to drivers, particularly NVidia. Yours is the first problem I have seen with AV program. I had to roll back my driver on the USB 3.1 port so that is my only driver issue so far.

I have Nvidia GeForce 9600GT  but no problems with it. Only Avira antivirus was the devil in my case!

Unfortunately, I also have had many more problems with Nvidia compared to AMD graphics cards.  My conclusion is that Nvidia graphics card drivers are written more poorly than AMD graphics card drivers.  I have reached this conclusion by testing Windows 10 versions on different Nvidia graphics cards and different AMD graphics cards with an Intel CPU Chip-set.  The Nvidia software drivers just seem to have more problems across the board than the AMD graphics card drivers.  I am not referring to speed or performance issues of the cards this is purely a compatibility observation.  My observation has been that Nvidia needs to do a better job of writing better video drivers for their hardware than AMD does so in this case everyone Microsoft is not fully at fault because it appears that AMD is doing a better job at writing their software driver(s) code than Nvidia has been able to write their software driver code.

Agreed. Something unbelievable is the nVidia control panel, ancient as hell (look the buttons, logos of CRT monitor, etc).... Come on nVidia.....

I agree that Nvidia writes sloppy drivers. But drivers have always been an issue with Windows (and DOS for those who remember) going back to its inception. When MS began the driver certification, the issues decreased but still pose problems. More experienced users can readily identify the issue, but for the average person it creates a lot of problems that result in calls to tech support, reinstalls of the system, etc. I still like Nvidia so I use the generic drivers from MS and do not update those from Nvidia's site. Users should not be guinea pigs for badly written software.

I use the generic Nvidia from MS because of problems with their drivers. But even worse is Nvidia trying to force users to install unnecessary crap with their installer. 

Yes, unnecessary software is a problem with many companies these days.  How about when you have to go into options in Oracle Java Runtime to Suppress being asked to install additional junk?

Mo' software, mo' problems.

True, the more software you have the larger attack surface area there is available to exploit and that is why you need to lock down Windows 10, 8.x, and 7 so they have a smaller attack area.  For example, the first thing I do on a client's Windows 7 machines is to disable remote assistance because this is enabled by default and it could be a security and safety risk by having this feature enabled.  Actually, the very 1st thing I do is have them sign a waiver and inform them they need to have backups (local and/or cloud) before I will work on their computer(s) and network(s) because I am not responsible for lost data.  It is too much of a hassle to try to recover.  I have learned this the hard way.

It goes beyond the security issues but that is the most important reason. The more software you install, the more conflicts and kludge accumulates, particularly if the software requires drivers. Some software does not fully uninstall leaving files, drivers and registry entries behind. Then there is the issue of software trying to install additional programs and unnecessary items. I do not install any software until it is necessary. And in some cases I am using portable versions rather than a full installation. When software updates, I wait to see if people are having issues before I update. This makes it easier to identify conflicts and resolve problems when they occur.

Have you tried using the professional version of Revo Uninstaller.  It was suggested a while back in PC World magazine.  I use it on my computer and have paid for a version on my flash drive to use to help clean up client's computers.  It is great and helps get a lot of missing registry entries and stuff.  I also like and have used CCleaner and Microsoft Security Essentials was great and immediately warned me of the corrupted version a while back.

I use CCleaner occasionally because it has caused issues. But CCleaner even leaves some items from an uninstall regardless of what software you use to uninstall. When I uninstall, I use Windows uninstall and then manually check for leftovers on the drive and registry. Some software puts new entries in the registry that are not easily identified with the software so it pays to familiarize yourself with the software entries before and after an install. A screenshot of the registry before and after the install help me trace installations. If I find an odd entry that I don't recognize I look online to find what software is related to the entry. It may sound like a lot of work, but a system reset/reinstall creates far more work.

True, I have found I have had to manually remove registry entries from my Windows 7 machine to help get rid of all traces of removed software.  You have to be very careful in doing this because if you remove a registry entry that is needed then the easiest thing is to roll back the computer.  I do this as time allows.

We're still not getting any nearer to a solution though!

Just a reminder to all: This is beta softare, so if you're having serious issues with this build or another, and are using on production machines, drop to retail version until all this is figured out. Can't expect that any insider builds work flawlessly....

I CAN CONFIRM THAT 17083 HAS JUST DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!

Same here,

I got mine installed 2 days ago, went smoothly from 17074 (I did not have to uninstall any SW.

Just a thought, in the future can we have error logs as a file chosen instead of just copying and pasting the entire error log - it would make the discussions flow more smoothly - just a thought

I got the same problem with a Dell C3765dnf on 1704. It worked until this update...

Thank you Michael.  As a beta tester for security on Windows Vista, I really appreciate Microsoft Windows.  I did not have a chance to do any beta testing on Windows 7 or 8 because I was too busy with life.  Anyway, I had another failure with Windows 10.  A client had 2 computers that were infected with mal-ware.  I brought the Windows 7 Professional 64 bit back without a problem.  As a computer technician who has also worked at a Computer Shop for over a year I have had the chance to work on many different computers mainly Windows with a few Apple Computers thrown in for good measure.  Anyway, I only ran into one time when a Windows 7 computer was so damaged that the operating sytem had to have a clean install.  It was so amusing.  The message from Microsoft was basically we are very sorry but you will have to do a clean install of Windows because it has been too badly damaged.  Windows 8.x worked well but not as well as 7.  With this new client, I restored the Windows 7 Machine from the malware but the Windows 10 machine will most likely require a clean install.