SOLVED

insider preview 17074 not working

Brass Contributor

Same as the last three updates - gets stuck at the windows logo with no spinning dots. Have to power off and revert to 17035.

error log:

2018-01-13 12:30:32, Error MOUPG Finalize: Error reading narrator reg key: [0x80070002]
2018-01-13 12:33:00, Error SP pSPRemoveUpgradeRegTree: failed to delete reg tree HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade[gle=0x00000005]
2018-01-13 12:33:32, Error [0x080831] MIG CSIAgent: Invalid xml format: FormatException: Component with display name: Plugin/{52776FBF-403C-49cc-b7cb-dd557f36096A} already loaded __cdecl Mig::CMXEMigrationXml::CMXEMigrationXml(class Mig::CPlatform *,class UnBCL::String *,class UnBCL::XmlDocument *,class UnBCL::String *,class UnBCL::String *)
2018-01-13 12:33:50, Error CSI 00000001 (F) 80220008 [Error,Facility=FACILITY_STATE_MANAGEMENT,Code=8] #144468# from CWcmScalarInstanceCore::GetCurrentValue(options = 393216, status = '(null)', value = { type: 40972, bytes ( 12 :( 65006e002d00550053000000 })
[gle=0x80004005]
2018-01-13 12:36:56, Error [0x0808fe] MIG Plugin {526D451C-721A-4b97-AD34-DCE5D8CD22C5}: [shmig] Failed to get preferred homegroup with hr=0x80070490

69 Replies
You could try running the troubleshooter and choose Windows Update. Alternatively, try stopping the Windows Update Service, then delete all contents from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. Start the Windows Update Service and try again

Downloading and installing now!

I'll let you all know if the update installs....

EVERYONE!!!

GUESS WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT DIDN'T WORK.

SAME ERROR. FML

Didn't work. Nothing is even presented to me at the screen. No updates, nothing. I'm very frustrated with this because I'll have to wait for ISOs and fresh install. First time this is happening without solution. But anyway, thanks for your input Paul....
At least the build is showing and downloading to you. For me, I'm always up-to-date at 17063, hahahahahah...

deleted everything from the download folder - one last try...

Did that (with the WU service stopped) three times, moved from fast <-> slow rings, rebooted the PC, and still nothing... I think I'm been punished for something, lol

yeah just had the usual error - I've paused my updates now.

This error is happening a lot so I can't quite see why microsoft are sticking with the virtualisation thing. There is clearly something preventing the boot up from the windows logo screen - but nothing sorted yet....

From my experiences, when there's a boot problem at Windows logo, at least for me, it was always a storage driver problem, in my case, the iastor (intel storage device driver) problem...

Just checking if you guys have raised feedback in the feedback hub?  If you have, can you reply with the links here and i'll up-vote.  Also, if you are on Twitter, the insider team can often be reached at https://twitter.com/windowsinsider.  It's worth reaching out there (I've had a lot of success with the team via twitter).

Another (extreme) option could be to revert back to v1709, and then return to insider builds?

Good luck guys and feel free to let me know how it goes.

Ok, this was bizarre now. I reverted to 17025 (fresh install) and guess what? The presented build on Windows Update was, again, 17063. It refuses to give me the 17074 in any ring.... Lost hope here...

Pitiful. I can't get my Gigabyte to a stable build. I have to keep stopping updates every week after I live through another failed upgrade.

Thanks Microsoft. Time for Linux.

Got the 17074 build at the most annoying way:

1) Inside VM, installing a fresh install of 17025
2) Inside VM, upgrading until 17074 shows up
3) Inside VM, use UUPtoISO utility to convert folder \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download to an ISO file (option 1, choose correct folder inside \Download, probably the biggest folder in GBytes)
4) Copying the ISO to the host PC (outside VM)
5) Mount the ISO as a unit
6) Run setup.exe and follow instructions to "upgrade leaving programs and user files"

Worked here. now running 17074.1002

Hope it helps someone out there stuck at 17063 or lower builds.

Justing too tired to try anything more.  I've tried everything even manually reinstalling my graphics driver after performing a complete and total reset, whereas I made sure that nothing extra was installed.  This was the last step I took after following just about every other recommendation I could find on the net with no resolve.  The dots just keep spinning after the first automatic restart. 

I think the latest update just plain has something wrong with Alienware Area 51R-2, running AMD. And Windows, you might want to look into it.

BTW, I don't think 17074.0002 fixed it.

Just a quick heads-up on 17074 - I have it installed but when I tried to print I got errors saying there was a problem with my Printer Setup.

I have an OKI C301DN.. It works fine from other connected PCs but not the 17074 version pc.

I have been onto OKI and this is a new error from their point of view. All drivers deleted and reinstalled. Gone back to generic driver from OKI  - still no joy.

Also my previous 'loudspeaker' default also suddenly changed without anything being done by me.

Something is not quite right.

Also a lot of CPU being used by Telemetry Services?

Will report back if this is resolved

I am having the same issue and it does not appear there is a fix. One thing I noticed was I cannot set the automatic install updates to on. When I try to turn it on, it switches back off. I am preparing to go back to a factory restore if this is not fixed soon. I hate to lose everything because it is such a pain to restore the OS, update and then restore my files.

Try to download an unofficial ISO from 17074.1002, open it on Winrar, extract to a folder on your PC and run setup.exe. It should work!!!

Your advice worked perfect. Now I can change the switch on automatic update downloads. I thank you very much.

Seriously beginning to hate this screen.

To my PC the upgrade ended with the green screen and the message: Bad pool header. The problem was Avira antivirus real time scanner. Only after I uninstalled all Avira programs from my PC, I coud install Build 17074 flawelessly! Nou I use Bitdefender as antivirus and all works fine. My PC is 10 years old and boot in 5 sec, with SSD! I hope that helps!