Windows update borken 0x80070643

Copper Contributor

Trying to install 

Windows 10 Insider Preview 10.0.17758.4 (rs5_release) (12)

Windows 10 Insider Preview 10.0.17763.1 (rs5_release)

Windows 10 Insider Preview 10.0.17754.1 (rs5_release) (18)

I get the error listed above.

I've tried deleting my software distribution dir and having windows rebuild it, also tried replacing the CatRoot as some articles suggested, caused nothing but failure to start windows.  I've tried a DISM and sfcscan... No dice...

Looking for suggestions, as I don't want to do a reset and have to install all my apps again. 

3 Replies

First thing I would do is run the windows update Troubleshooter and ensure it fixes any available issues, Follow that with a 

SFC /ScanNow, though it might not complete,   if it doesn't run a 

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth 

follow that with a SFC /ScanNow.  Make sure you reboot.  If you still get the Windows update error reset the whole thing by running this script

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-WindowsUpdateps1-e0c5eb78

This will reset the windows updates completely and follow this with a reboot

Also, have you considered possibly getting the news ISO and doing an upgrade with it? 

I have had good success with these steps when my insider build has been stuck or a windows update wont apply. With that Error, these steps specifically fixed the

0x80070643

error for me.

Murray

Thanks for the reply, I'm still shocked there is so much mystery behind the windows update and no REAL clear instructions on how to reactivate it anywhere other than what you just posted. 

I'll give this a shot and if not I'll grab the ISO.