Windows 10 Version 1709 (KB4041994) User settings Issue

Copper Contributor

After downloading this latest version of Windows 10 from the Insider Program I ran into an issue where the update had created a brand new User account and my original User account was nowhere to be found in the sign-in screen or in the "Accounts" option in settings. However the original user can still be found in C:/Users but there's no way to sign into that account anymore and get my Windows 10 personalized layout back. All of my programs, videos, images and documents are still there and are accessible, but I can't find a way to sign into the User anymore after the update. I am also given the option to rollback to the latest stable version of Windows 10, but then an error appears telling me that I am supposed to first delete any newly created Users that are on the computer and the only one listed is the User I no longer have access to.

Please if anyone knows how I can get my User back then please reply with a solution/fix below, much appreciated! Thank You!

8 Replies

Hi there!

i have exactly the same problem with my user account after updatin.

I have the exact same issue. And apparently my system restore was off so I can't even do it that way.

lost everything 8 year of pic and documents, and it won't let me roll back , say I added an account, I didn't and can't get rid of it, tried the start up method also and get a message it can't roll back...how do I get rid of account, where its says to accounts/other nothing is there

Migrate old profile to New User Created in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

I had used only a local account on my Surface Pro 4. After the tablet has finished installing the Windows 10 Fall Creator’s update and I log into system, it just creates a fresh account with administrator for me. All of my personal preferences settings for desktop backgrounds, pointer preferences are missing and the old username doesn’t appear in the login screen. However I access the Users folder in C:\ driver, all data of the old account are over there. How can I change the name of its profile folder.

The Windows 10 may create a new account and remove the old username during the Fall Creators Update process. But it keeps all personal setting files. You could migrate your old profile into the new one.

* First make note of your current account’s username.
* From your desktop, type cmd in Windows search box, right click on “Command Prompt” from result, and select Run as administrator option.
* Type the comand below in Command Prompt:

wmic useraccount get name,SID

and press Enter to execute it.
* It will list all of the username and its SID. Find your old account, and make note of the SID which is next to the name. For example, the SID of my old account is S-1-5-21-237214570-1361833723-3062660971-2015.
* Press Win + R from your keyboard, type regedit in Run box, and click OK button to open Registry Editor.
* Navigate to the location in the left side:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Under the ProfileList folder, click on the the actual SID which you have noted in the above step.
* Go to its right side pane, double click/tap on the ProfileImagePath string.
* Its value data is the original full path and name. Make note of the full location like C:\Users\original-username. Then change original-username to the new name for your current account, and click OK button to save all.
* Open the File Explorer, go to the C:\Users\ path, right click on the old user profile folder, select Rename option, and change it to the same new account name.

That’s all. Finally re-sign into system to check if the new account restore your old setting files.

I followed the above advice and am now back in my original user account.

tried this found several old account SID#'s  but in profile list..   only the new one exist

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

I think all you really need to do is use regedit to change this setting (above) in your PC's registry. Just find the appropriate setting at ProfileList with the new, changed user name (mine was username.TOSHIBA) and simply change it back to username (that is, your original user name). Save your registry change, log out of Windows 10 and then back in again. You should be automatically logged back into your original user  name account. Remember that this update doesn't delete your data; it only changes your user name. So nothing is lost . . . except for your time . . .