Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17025 for PC is now available! Let's get some RS4 on!

Microsoft

Today, we released Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17025 for PC to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring and for those who opted in to Skip Ahead.

REMINDER: Going forward, we plan to release new builds for RS4 from the RS_PRERELEASE branch to Insiders in the Fast ring and those who opted in to Skip Ahead at the same time.

This build adds new Ease of Access settings to make your device easier to use and fit your needs and controlling your startup tasks has now been made easier for you as well. 

For complete details, please visit the Windows Insider Blog

8 Replies

Michelle,

Please note that for some of us (see latest messages in Windows Insider Program community) this update is causing Windows Insiders to go into a reboot loop. The issue appears to be caused by volsnap.sys (see attached). This, I believe, is a critical failure as the the OS crashes within 10 minutes (the time it takes to init/download/start install) of updating from build 17017 to 17025. Please escalate for resolution; it is very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Rob Milliken

Hi Rob
I have escalated. Could you please file this on the Feedback Hub App as well?
Thank you
Michelle
Hi Rob
Good news! This was fixed in the 17025 build. The only external build that affected Fast users was 17017 (did not affect the 17025 build).

The bug is random as to when it hits the users, but they have to be on 17017 for it to hit.

Workaround here:

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/RecoveringFromTheWindows10InsidersFast17017VolsnapsysRebootGSODBSOD.a...

Michelle,

Fantastic! Swift fix indeed! Yes, I had plenty of opportunity to send feedback to the Feedback Hub; every time this happened, notifications asked me to fill out why the computer reset - and I filled it out almost every time.

Thank you,

Rob Milliken

Michelle,

A similar technique worked for me and I am writing on a machine without trepidation that it'll be reset at any time. I did try something similar where I took my non-insider Windows 10 laptop volsnap.sys and overwrote my trouble insider machine. However, the tip to get it from windows.old solved it for me with the volsnap.sys dating from some time in September. There is more than one way to do this (why is it my Windows 10 DVD is always the one that ends up scratched/unusable - the old telephone book slogan comes to mind..) - myself I got ownership rights to the file and did a simple copy with Windows Explorer (the ownership rights is the big thing, other readers can find how to do this on the net - if troubles, I'll find the link again). Being able to copy over without having to get out of Windows 10 was more convenient. Anyway, I am updated now! I appreciate your and everyone's help on this and hope it resolves for other people!

Thank you,

Rob Milliken

My update is that the solution from hanselman.com worked for me.  I copied in a volsnap.sys from another machine using a USB drive, my PC finally booted and I was able to upgrade to 17025 and it seems to be working fine.  

Thanks for everyone's help

Since updating to 17025, my Start button and Cortana search button stopped working. I ran the Windows 10 StartMenu Troble shooter and it said  my Tile database is corrupt. I read somewhere else that forcing a Reindex from ControlPanel->IndexingOptions can fix the Tiles DB so tried it. didn't appear to be after restarting the PC the Star menu reappeared. Now it seems very intermittent and currently nothing I've tried has restored it.  

Happy to say that since I last forced a Reindex from ControlPanel->IndexingOptions a couple of weeks ago, I have not had the problem with the start button failing to work.