SOLVED

Windows 10 Insider Preview 17723.1000 (rs5_release) restart required -- does not install

Copper Contributor

Ran Windows Update this morning and saw the result attached (scrncap.png), restarted numerous times, but the build doesn't change/update. Ran Troubleshoot:Windows Update, no problems detected. Anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions?

20 Replies

Yes, I have the same problem.  The new version does not install after restart, but keeps asking for a restart.

So then I'm not the only one with this. :(

best response confirmed by Kevin Blanton (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Same problem here, but solved it deleting all files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and running this script https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-Windows-Update-Agent-d824badc

Thanks it worked. Make sure to run as admin and have program restart the computer.

What option have you chosen out of the 15?

For me it didn't work out. :(

I think it was option 2, the one that says something about resetting the update files. Then when it's done choose the option to restart computer. It did not work for me the first time as well. Before you try the second attempt be sure to delete the files again. Hope this helps.

Yes it worked! Thx for the help. I guess at first try the command prom was not given admin right.

Thank you, Dionisio, that worked for me, very much appreciate it. Finally, the download started and the installation is working through as I type this. For the record, I checked to see if just clearing the download folders would do it, but that alone did not work, had to run the utility. On my way, now. Thanks again.

I have the same problem, too.

1. Already download the tool to reset Windows Update

2. It really WORKS and windows is updating as usual

3. After update, my Windows is telling me to restart

4. At the first time, windows is updating as usual. YES, it updating

5. BUT, after login to windows, it tells me restart AGAIN

6. And, windows NOT updating (install) as it required

Anyone having this issue, too?

Yes, I had the same problem after resetting Windows update files. I had to do the process 2 times. Delete the files the the update folder, run the tool program to update the windows update system (option 2). When it is done restart computer from the program which is option 18, I believe. Then you should be all set. Hope this helps!

Have you succeeded with the update? I mean, windows really completed with the update, after resetting windows (option 2) two times?

I have not been successful updating windows, but successful with clearing the issue of it anyways saying restart to update and never updating.

I have the same problem with Windows 10 Insider Preview 10.0.17713.1002 
Keeps saying it needs to restart "Restart Required". 

After a restart, says the same thing "Restart Required"

I used option 2 of tool found at wureset.com and then restarted. That removed the pending update that kept wanting to restart. I am now going to disable the Windows Update service for a couple of months with the hope that an eventual fix will be released by the time I re-enable it. 

@Mike Meinz wrote:

I have the same problem with Windows 10 Insider Preview 10.0.17713.1002 
Keeps saying it needs to restart "Restart Required". 

After a restart, says the same thing "Restart Required"

I used option 2 of tool found at wureset.com and then restarted. That removed the pending update that kept wanting to restart. I am now going to disable the Windows Update service for a couple of months with the hope that an eventual fix will be released by the time I re-enable it. 

1. Download Windows Update Reset Tools

2. Choose option 2 (two)

3. Restart your Windows

4. Change/set your Windows Insider Preview to FAST (see attached file)

5. Re-run Windows Update

6. You will get Windows 10 Insider Preview 17733.1000 (rs5_release) or Windows 10 Insider Preview 17735 (latest build)

7. After download and install update, your Windows should never asking to restart...

I noted the "Best Response" in my post that the fix that worked (immediately on first attempt) is the procedure set out by Dioniso Pires here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Insider-Program/Windows-10-Insider-Preview-17723-1000... (thank you again, Dionisio). Several subsequent posts state that they have used the reset tool without success, but do not state that they first deleted ALL files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. The the deletion first ,then run the reset tool, then reboot, if in fact you left that step out. That worked for me. I have since been through three additional build installs without any issue or incident.

Thanks for your reply. I want to clarify that I did not delete files from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download myself before running the Option 2 of Reset Windows Update Agent command script. The Option 2 of Reset Windows Update Agent command script. did remove the downloaded files from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download.

Hm, I don't see that delete command in :components section of the script for Option 2 (or in any other section, in fact). At any rate, I had success when I manually deleted all files in the specified directory before running the script. As I say, it seems to have "taken," too, preventing subsequent hang-ups.

I have tried this solution unfortunately without success, I am running a Samsung Galaxy TAB pro S

with build 17692_RS5 and it askes me daily to restart, I have manually removed the temp files, manually rebooted and through the script. the most frustrating is that I can't seem to upgrade from this version since it requires a reboot to finalize this install... any suggestions other than a full reinstallation :)

I have had this same problem for the last several days. It never downloads. Get the blue RESTARTINGreen, after a minute of so a black screen comes up with text but only for an instant so I  cannot read what it says. Then goes back to the normal login screen.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Kevin Blanton (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Same problem here, but solved it deleting all files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and running this script https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-Windows-Update-Agent-d824badc

View solution in original post