Windows 10 Insider Preview 17666.1000 - failed install attempt - 0xc1900101

Brass Contributor

LS, it seems that the latest preview build does not get installed.

What's even more mysterious, is that the previous, successful installation, was a newer release than the one not installing currently - see below

2018-05-10 18_25_47-Settings.png

54 Replies

Thank you! That stopped that issue.

But now no programs works at all. I get message saying it couldn't run the program correctly because of error (0xc0000005).

Chrome was the only none windows 10 program that worked but the tabs was only going half the window which was weird.

Since these issues made my computer practically unusable I had to roll back to stable version.

did the same, due to the state of the build. After the rollback everything seems to behave and perform as one /I would expect and the OS is running build 17661.1001.

And I did pause the updating process for a few - want to wait and see what the community is sharing and Microsoft is doing about the build currently pushed.

16677.1000 dont work. Reboot with the previous windows after a long process.

Same here

@Sarah et Yves wrote:

16677.1000 dont work. Reboot with the previous windows after a long process.

has any of these issues been resolved with build 17682?

yes- after 2 fails I uninstalled Kaspersky and 17682.1000 installed on the third attempt with no issues and at lightning speed.

Probably like for most of you, Build 17666 is the first build that failed to install for me since I'm on Win10x64.

Build 17682 now installed successfully but it did not solve all the problems that came with this failed install. I did not do anything special to solve the problem besides giving each new build that came out after 66 a chance.

As it worked now, it seems the problems lies within the build itself (maybe some compatibility problem with our systems).

Maybe you guys have a Dell Studio XPS from 10 years ago like I do? This might be the common link between all of us but just a wild guess. Maybe it's the Radeon 3800 graphic card. Maybe it's the Samsung monitor that I'm using in portrait mode.

Build 66 failed to install and rolled back but still broke two things:

1. My (Dell) ATI Radeon HD 3800 driver stopped working (error 39) and despite all attempts is still not working.
  2. My internal USB3 controler (Renesas - was not provided by Dell) seemed to be working but attaching USB3 Disks did not do anything (no lights, no motor turning).

I "solved" 1/ with buying a Geforce GT 1030 (glad that PCI-E ports are backwards compatible - even though it's not going to run full speed which is why I bought this entry level card) and replacing the Radeon. I always liked Geforce more anyway but it's a shame I had to come to that end. I don't know if the card just broke at the same time or what (the default Windows driver was working OK) but I was tired of losing time with this and wanted to upgrade the graphic card for a while anyway.

I solved 2/ by moving the internal controller to a different slot. Not sure why this changed anything but it's working as it's meant to.

Thanks to all for your support and suggestions and I you all now made it successfully to build 17682.

Have fun!

Yes, see comments. But If you install now Kaspersky. You have a boot loop and it's impossible to go to the previous version of windows. You need to reinstall completely windows...

For me, after updating to build 17682 my computer goes to log in screen and reboots to log in screen again. 

17686.1003 don't work...same symptoms

It works....YES! it's like a goal of Switzerland in the worldcup...Celebrations ;)

I had similar issues with that build but on about the third or fourth attempt it worked. I suspect there is now some form of adaptive code in there that changes to install depending on issues it encounters. It would be useful to know if that suspicion is a fact as it would save troubleshooting time... Since then all subsequent builds have installed smoothly.

I am stuck on build 17661 and have been for 6 months - 6 attempts to update with later builds all failed repeatedly. Seems to me that something in build 17661 is causing the issue. Msoft get a grip or you will lose many insiders as we get little assistance from you