Version 1709 Build 16299.15 Apps disappeared

Steel Contributor

I had probably about 200 apps and internet shortcuts pinned to the start screen. After installation of Version 1709 Build 16299.15 all of my store apps disappeared from my system. Every single one of the pinned internet shortcuts disappeared. There are 12 tiles left on the screen. People, messaging and a couple of others. I can't even find the Windows Store App anywhere on the system. I managed to open the store through Cortana, It shows all my purchased apps but no option to re-download them. "Pin to desktop" in the store is greyed out. Only "Launch" is available. When I click "Get updates" it does not show any. The few remaining tiles are spread out all over the start screen in the location where I originally had them with a lot of room in between for the missing tiles. It's as everything is still on my PC but just not visible.
When I go to Settings-Apps and Features all my apps are listed there but they did not populate the start menu screen or the program menu. As I said, room was left for them on the start screen in the locations where they previously were.
As mentioned above, I managed to open the store app through Cortana. Just noticed that when the app is open it is NOT shown on the taskbar. I just managed to open the Windows Central app through an email link to a post I made there. It is also NOT SHOWN on the taskbar when active. The few apps that are remaining on the start menu DO SHOW on the start menu when opened. So all the apps are definitively still there, they are just invisible.

26 Replies
that's good to here! i still at least had the store but no othet app whould show up but store said they were installed

I have resolved this by doing the following:

1) go to settings--> Update& security --> Recovery --> go back to the previous version of Windows 10 --> Get started. By doing that you go back to the previous version (1703)

2) As soon as I sign -in to the previous version, I created/added a new local account to the system.

3) I signed in with this new account, and I ran the upgrade to version 1709 again from inside this newly created account

4) When the upgrade was completed, I signed in with this newly created account. I remained signed in for 30 minutes, just to make sure that all the post upgrade tasks (if any) have been completed.

5) I signed out, and then signed in with my usual Microsoft account. All the store apps and tiles where there and working perfectly.

I hope this works for you too. Good luck ;))

I have the very same problem, just did the update to build 16299 last night 10/28/2017. Having no luck trying various fixes. Come on Microsoft, surely you can do better.

Start Menu and some apps disappear.  Even with rollback, apps are starting not to work.  Not cool!

I have the same error/malfunction ... I have installed firstly this update two weeks ago or so ... and then rolled back since I could not find solution ... since some time passed I have assumed that the problem in the update was solved but alas ... after yesterday's update it is the same ... I have tried to reinstall ms store or to reinstall apps but with no success in reappearing tiles in the start menu ... However I have noticed that roblox was updated through ms store (I do not have icon but only blank space in taksbar which can run store) and then roblox tile appeared in start menu ... weird ....

I had the same experience with ms online support and unfortunately have updated again ... with the same result ... tried to leave insider program and seemed that I have succeeded but then the update has shown and updated system though winver says that I am running Win10 pro without insider program ...

Well it took a while.  Went to Settings  -  Apps, then clicked each app missing from the start tiles and uninstalled. Then located in Store and reinstalled and added to start tiles. I had a couple that didn't offer uninstall but under advanced settings there was a reset that worked. Best wishes to the rest of you.