SOLVED

Unable to update Windows 10 Insider Preview 17063.1000 (rs_prerelease)

Copper Contributor

Hello,

Currently, I'm using Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17025.rs_prerelease.171020-1626

As windows launched update with a new version 17063.1000, I'm unable to update.

Each time system restarts and update runs for a while. Then, it rolls back to previous version of windows.

Error Code is - 0xc1900101.

Please help

67 Replies
yeah, Norton is the worst thing you could install on your computer for Antivirus. It's HORRIBLE. I use Avast. much leaner and doesn't install 40 different things GS and slow my machine down. Norton is the worst. barf....

Hi friends, I'm successful to install 17063 version. please try mine way and hope to help you
* into BIOS -> disable fingerprint
someone told this way before but needs into BIOS to set disable fingerprint.

thanks

Don't work this solution for me

Thanks Anyway

Wouldn't exactly call that 'detailed advice' - what are the consequences of doing that action, if the update still does not complete???  Sounds like there is an error in the Insider Preview release 17063.1000, I'm going to take the prudent course of action and wait for a later one...

my bios doesn't have fingerprint as it's not a laptop and my gigabyte Mobo doesn't have biometrics etc.

I am seeing an issue where I am unable to update as it gives me a BSOD with error System_Service_Exception and the file is wdfilter.sys.  The computer reboots and then restores back to original version (v1709 build 16299.192).  This computer was recently restored using USB drive and I haven't done anything else besides Windows updates.

All insiders,

Today is a remarkable day. 20 times a try to install preview 17063. Reassigned sata disks on original sata ports. No matter. 

Windows 10 Insider Preview 17063.1000 (rs_prerelease) (3)  (used all the windows tools to reset the update history and Dbase.)

Error code: 0xd0000001

Waiting for 17074.....

Hi all -

Hoping for some help here... I've been reading through the thread, and many of the posts are all too familiar. I've been been on the insider program with both laptops for a while now -- Dell XPS 15 9530 on Windows 10 Home (4 years old, updating fine - now on 17083), and my primary laptop - an XPS 15 9560 on Windows 10 Pro (a year old, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD). The 9560 is stuck on 17046 -- that's the last insider prerelease update that worked.

In general, the machine is functioning well, with the only anomaly being that the Intel Management Engine Components Installer will NOT install -- and I've had Dell engineers poking at this on two different one hour calls. They're now suggesting that I wait for a Windows Update that works, or consider a clean install of the production version. I'm hoping to 1) get the insider previews working again on this machine, and 2) getting the Intel installer to work as well.

I must have tried the Insider updates since 17046 about 20 times. I had a LOAD of Windows.Old dirs, most of which are gone now. The error I get, consistently, is: 0xc1900101

I've used the powershell cmdlett to export the windowsupdate log, but can't make heads of tails out of it. I saw a reference in this thread to the "setuperr.log" and "setupact.log" files, which I found under C:\WINDOWS\Panther\NewOs\Panther. I see a number of errors, but can't really tell which are warnings, which are fatal, and which I can actually do anything about. I'm attaching setuperr.log here, in case anyone has the time and expertise, and might be willing to take a look (the other one is too big to upload here).

Thanks in advance!

- Jon

Jonathan,

I never succeeded in the update 17063, even now Windows 10 Insider Preview 17083.1000 (rs_prerelease) wil not update.  On my Asus Transformer book 300 Chi all the updates worked without any flaw. So I am completely not able to say what the problem is. Used every tool there is to correct the problem, no results.

Thanks Paul. Frustrating situation. I imagine (hope) that as they move closer to the next Production release, they'll have gotten past issues like this. It strikes me as a bit odd for the dev team to continue forging ahead with new feature branches, when there are clearly some serious backward compatibility issues remaining to be resolved. Perhaps there are separate teams working on those issues and they'll merge branches - but in the meantime, I'm increasingly suspecting that it's not worth the time to be in the insider program.

@paulrademaker wrote:

Jonathan,

I never succeeded in the update 17063, even now Windows 10 Insider Preview 17083.1000 (rs_prerelease) wil not update.  On my Asus Transformer book 300 Chi all the updates worked without any flaw. So I am completely not able to say what the problem is. Used every tool there is to correct the problem, no results.

In the exact same boat Jonathon.  Spent too much time trying everything so for now I am just trying to upgrade when new releases come out, either Radeon or Windows.  I am hoping Windows will have to address it at some point. Worst case, once 17063 is a production release I'll be able to have my service warranty deal with it of which I suspect I won't be the only one.

Amazingly enough, Dell has kept my ticket open re: the Intel Management Engine Component Installer...and they're aware of my issue re: not being able to get past 10746 Insider preview. Although the last tech was pushing me to switch over to a clean production install of Win 10, the guy who called me today said they're escalating this to a Level 3 issue, and attempting to replicate it in-house.

Meanwhile, I installed Driver Booster (Iobit), scanned, and found 25 drivers that were rather outdated. I took a restore point, backed up all my current drivers, and let it do the updates. A couple of boots later, the machine is snappier than it's been in a while and boots faster... But I just when through Windows Update again, and it failed again -- on the third boot, after getting to 100% on the first boot, and up to 57% on the third -- and then reverting back to 10746.

Unless Dell comes up with something, I think I'll just have to wait and see what the next Insider release looks like...or wait for the next full production update to Windows, and use that (assuming it installs!!!).

Really hoping to avoid having to do a clean install.

I have an Alienware Area-51 R2. Should I call Dell too?

I appreciate Dell making an attempt at addressing this, but so far they haven't really accomplished anything. But if your machine is still under support, I'd open a ticket and give it a try. You might get good results.

In the meantime, I did some digging, and learned by the Intel HD Audio device wasn't starting properly (could see this in Device Manager), and I found a working driver for it on Dell's support website, installed, rebooted, and that's working again. No idea if this will make a difference, but I figure it's important to get all drivers working if possible.

Then -- I see that there's a new Insider prerelease version downloading: 17093 -- maybe I'll have more luck with this than with 17063 or 17083... I should be able to give it a try within an hour when it's done downloading (on both laptops).

Here's hoping it resolves all these issues!

So Jonathan, 

Now suddenly my ASUS Chi 330 is on  Windows 10 Insider Preview 17093.1000 (rs_prerelease). 

But my main PC tries to do the same, it stops at 97%.

After deep searching the internet i come to the conclusion it must be a driver issue.

So I'm gonna work hrough all the drivers to look if they need an update and then I try again....

Paul -

17093 finally worked for my problematic laptop as well. My older Dell XPS 15 9530 has been taking all the Insider versions just fine, but the newer (<1 year old) XPS 15 9560 had gotten stuck at 17046. But 17093 is finally on both machines.

I had a feeling drivers were my issue as well. I had been manually going through Device Manager and checking each entry for a driver update. Some items updated. I finally decided to give a 3rd party driver manager utility a drive, and homed in on Iobit's Driver Booster, as it seemed to be the most solid out there. I found a discount coupon on RetailMeNot and got 20% off, and a 1 year subscription covers 3 machines, so it seemed worthwhile if it could save me some time.

When I fired up Driver Booster, it found 25 drivers that were significantly out of date. Cutting to the chase: the only driver update that caused me an issue had to do with Intel HD Sound -- when I attempted to update it, there was some kind of error, and the device couldn't start (after boot). I reinstalled the older version (part of Dell's MaxxAudio package), and the audio device is working again -- so I left the 3 older audio-related drivers in place, and accepted the other 22 updates from Driver Booster. It also found outdated CC++ runtime libraries. Finally, I also checked and made sure to turn on the latest .NET support under Programs and Features / Windows options (it was turned off for some reason).

Unfortunately, I can't say which of my changes actually solved the Insider update issue on the 9560, or if is just a more compatible build. But I DO like the idea of using a tool like Driver Booster at this point. Among other things, it will set a restore point for you prior to replacing drivers, and it will back up all drivers it replaces. You can also have it back up all the drivers it's NOT replacing, so you can fall back to them later if they get scragged in some other way. Then you can use the tool to roll back changes and reinstall prior versions of drivers as needed. I'm very pleased with Driver Booster, and will likely keep my subscription renewed going forward. Nice to know that it will scan every device on the machine, identify the installed driver and compare it to a database of something like a million known devices and drivers and offer an update when appropriate -- sorry if this sounds like promotion -- it's not. I'm just pleased to have finally tried something like this!

The only issue I've experienced so far with this new build (17093) is the known problem of going into settings and selecting personalization (or right-clicking desktop and selecting that), and then clicking on "themes" - at which point the settings app crashes and disappears. Aside from that it's been quite nice so far.

Jonathan,

Just succeeded in the update to 17093.

What I did:

Disabling all virtual drives

Updating the video driver

Unplugged every USB Drive

Complete disk cleanup  (cleanmgr.exe) with deleting old installation files and logs etc etc.

I was afraid it stopped at 97% but I left the PC the whole night on.

This morning, after several restarts (automated) the PC was updated to 17093,rs_prerelease.180202-1400

Hooray.

End of story here...

Jonathan,  Same here withe themes. Closes after clicking.

Not the most severe problem I think.

gr. Paul

Agreed. So far, everything else I've tried is working. Hoping each successive prerelease version continues to get more stable.

Great Ill give it a shot too and circle around later this week. I am hoping not to have to make any attempts to monkey wrench it though as I can hardly warrant the effort at the moment. I still think Microsoft needs to be a little more responsive to this issue or at least respond to our concerns on this thread. Happy to hear it's working for you guys though! :)