Since Update to 17692, user profile is damaged/recreated after every reboot

Bronze Contributor

I recently installed the slow ring release of build 17692 on my workstation.  Since then, windows keeps creating a new user profile for me from scratch, rather than using the existing one.  It doesn't happen every time I log off and on, but it does seem to happen after each time the computer is restarted.  When it does occur, it's made obvious because I am able to log in to windows using my Windows Hello pin, but then before I get to my desktop I am prompted to setup Windows Hello facial recognition & pin (which were already set up.)

After the login process completes I confirm that a new profile has been created, if I look in the C:\Users directory I see subdirs for my old profile(s) and the newly created profile.  The new profiles are created in folders such as "USERNAME.DOMAIN", "USERNAME.DOMAIN.000", "USERNAME.DOMAIN.001" and so on.  The old profile folders are empty except for my OneDrive for business folder (e.g. "C:\Users\USERNAME\OneDrive - COMPANYNAME\") and it's contents.  

I'm running Win10 Enterprise, Hybrid AD & AAD Joined, with SCCM and Intune configured for co-management.  I have seen this occur with multiple user accounts.  These accounts are NOT using roaming profiles.  

Searching feedback hub, I found at least one report of the same problem, and upvoted it.  Has anyone else run into this problem?  Any suggestions for how to fix it?

5 Replies

Oddly enough, a couple of days after posting this, the issue seems to have stopped occurring.  The only thing that I'm aware of that changed in the interim was a new build of OneDrive installed.  Perhaps the issue was somehow caused by the OneDrive client?  

If this happens again, I'll be sure to report back.  

Yes.  Windows Explorer crashes.... rebuilding indexes does not seem to have any effect.

And... I spoke too soon.  Restarted again this morning and got a fresh new profile again.  :(

Intel’s processors flaw lets attackers bypass kernel access protections so that regular apps can read the contents of kernel memory.  Isolation of kernel is the problem. Reestablishing and maintaining the integrity of this isolation; via different remedies, including continually changing out profiles, can only provide limited security. Obtaining access to profiles is a prime attack vector of hackers... This particular solution will only work when all profiles are moved to a secure cloud such as azure... Ultimately the only lasting solution is if Intel will recall all their chips!

Did the issue got fixed for you? Cause i am facing the same issue in Windows Server 2016.