SOLVED

Remote Desktop Connection (Remote App) behavior problems

Copper Contributor

Hello, running 1803 (build 17134.1) and have been running into a "Remote App" behavior problem for a while (not sure what version it started on). 

We have a remote app installed on our desktop that is connected to an application we use hosted by someone else. It is hard to describe the behavior, but when other windows are open on our host machine (Edge, Teams, MS Office, etc.) and when a user has multiple screens (remote app only using one), when we call for something to happen in the remote app (like run a report), the remote app appears to freeze, and the only way to get it to refresh, is by clicking on one of the other programs that are open on our host machine (on the task bar) and then back to the remote app. 

Right clicking (trying to call a right click command) also is not working in this scenario. 

My gut tells me it is something related to the insider build of Windows and not the company that is hosting the application, because it is working fine on all the machines running the currently released version of windows and it is showing this behavior in 2 machines I have running the insider build. 

Any ideas?

38 Replies

Try Start > Settings < Apps, find Remote Desktop Connection and select it. Click Advanced settings. Try Reset does that help at all?

Nope... Problem exists even with a fresh install of the insider build and then creating the connection to the remote app.

We are also having this problem. 1803 also.

When right clicking inside of a remote app, it is difficult to make the contextual menu appear.  You have to try many many times. It looks like a displaying issue.

If you do it in a remote desktop window, it all works fine.

Only with 1803. Works fine with other versions of Windows 10.

The TS is running on W2012.

I am not sure what version the server is running on. 

You can get it work again

Change the following group policy either locally or via GPO in an AD environment on all Terminal Servers/Remote Session Hosts:

Set the following to Disabled

Computer Configuration/Policies/Admin Templates/Windows Components/Remote Desktop Services/Remote Desktop Session Host/Remote Session Environment: Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp – Disabled

This worked, but I'm having some issues with window rendering now. I don't think the rendering problem is an 1803 issue, but a product of turning off the advance Remote FX features.

Hi Ryan,

what kind of rendering problem do you have? We do have some too. Can you describe your environment?

They are Windows Server 2012 R2 server in an RDS configuration. We have 2 session hosts serving up the remote apps.

All servers are virtual, running on Hyper-V 2012 R2 clusters.

So far, with Remote FX turned off, when I try to maximize the WSUS remote window, I can't see it anymore. It just disappears. I have to guess where the top bar is, and double-click to de-maximize it. Sometimes, I get the same problems when I try to resize the window.

I imagine this won't be the only problem I see.

It is better than trying to guess where the context menu options are when I can't see them. :p Not the best way to authorize updates...

This is on 1803 Education Edition as my workstation.

Also, running build 17134.48.

We're seeing this on Windows 10 v1607, v1703, v1709, v1803

Uninstalling the latest update seems to fix the issue. When we uninstall the update nd reboot a Security update is automatically installed and the  RDP connections are restored.

Believe that MS is pushing something behind the scenes.

The Security update dated after May 8, 2018

If there is no Security update listed do the Cumulative update , same date.

This is for all versions of Windows 10

I see KB4103721, which is the only security update I see installed. However, I upgraded on the May 15, which is the same day this update was installed. There may have been an update before the upgrade killing things. I will have to do some more testing.

That's what I have seen also. I uninstalled this update and things worked fine after a reboot.

Your mileage may differ :)

KB4103714 seems to be the culprit in 1709, according to some sources, but not in my environment. In fact, I'm not having any problems on anything but 1803.

We are finding that all of the cumulative updates for all versions of Windows 10 in May are suspect.

So far uninstalling the following KB's fix the issue - 4103723; 4103731; 4103727; 4103721

We have had to actually delete these updates from our SCCM server to stop re-deployment.

We believe that these updates all have RDP issues

Uninstalling KB4103721 did NOT fix the problem for me.

KB4100403 was release May 22nd. I don't see anything in the documentation for a fix on this one.

Obviously there is a problem going on here if multiple people are having the same problem.

Microsoft, do you have any comment, solution or a possible date that a fix will be issued?

Thanks,

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Derrick Rieke (Copper Contributor)
Solution

My device did an update this morning to Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview - 17677.rs_prerelease.180520-0940.

I think the issue has been resolved with this Windows Insider release! Not sure when the GA of this update will be. My guess is that Microsoft will issue a separate update to fix this problem fairly soon.  

View solution in original post