:( Linking an account in this page is broken!

Copper Contributor

I had to change to another account also enabled for Insider builds, but I ended up with a client that is stuck at this status when selecting "Windows InsiderProgram":

Linking an account in this page is broken! As a workaround run "Command Prompt" as admin and execute: "REG DELETE HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Account /va /f".

The BIG issue is that this suggestion have absolutely NO effect!

16 Replies

try with the powershell run as administrator paste :::; REG DELETE HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Account /va /f           .... worked for me

@shafiul islam wrote:

try with the powershell run as administrator paste :::; REG DELETE HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Account /va /f           .... worked for me

Thank you for your suggestion, but I have already tried this many times and it does NOT work. 

i forgot to say u have to do this first......

1. At Start, type ‘command prompt’, a Best Match will be Command Prompt app. Right-click on the Command Prompt app, select ‘Run as administrator’.
  2. Select ‘Yes’ to allow the app to make changes to your device
  3. At the command prompt enter the following: dism /online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:OneCoreUAP.OneSync~~~~0.0.1.0
  4. Press Enter. The reinstall will start progress. If you aren’t seeing progress, you can press Enter again.
  5. Once the reinstall is complete, you will be prompted to restart your device. If not prompted, you will need to restart the device yourself.    then try with the "power shell" REG DELETE HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Account /va /f   (only f not f")

Thank you for your suggestions.

I have tried to run dism /online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:OneCoreUAP.OneSync~~~~0.0.1.0 and REG DELETE..., with a reboot in between, but unfortunately this does not resolved the issue.

I'm still not able to regain control and link to my Insider account.

Did you resolve this? I have exactly the same issue on a PC installed from 17 iso.

Unfortunately not.
I have tried the suggested methods to solve it, but the problem is still unresolved.
According to information from other sources running dism with the parameters above is for fixing Windows mail.

Are you sure this also could potentially fix issue with linking Insider account?

I finally managed to fix this by creating an ISO file from another pc with Insider build 17040 install.

Case closed.

worked for me but I did it all from CMD - as Admin.
it has worked for me
funcionou perfeitamente no meu caso desvinculei a conta do inside e apareceu esta msg

The original suggestion fixed the problem for me as well - the dism command didn't work though, threw an error message. 

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:OneCoreUAP.OneSync~~~~0.0.1.0
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.17025.1000
Image Version: 10.0.17025.1000

Error: 0x800f0950
DISM failed. No operation was performed.

Mind, I had to reopen the settings page twice for the status to change... 

The trick is to run the command prompt as an "admin" and then typing REG DELETE HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Account /va /f  and entering it, this solves the problem.

No this command didn't work for Me as well , its says The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.  

@shafiul islam wrote:

i forgot to say u have to do this first......

1. At Start, type ‘command prompt’, a Best Match will be Command Prompt app. Right-click on the Command Prompt app, select ‘Run as administrator’.
  2. Select ‘Yes’ to allow the app to make changes to your device
  3. At the command prompt enter the following: dism /online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:OneCoreUAP.OneSync~~~~0.0.1.0
  4. Press Enter. The reinstall will start progress. If you aren’t seeing progress, you can press Enter again.
  5. Once the reinstall is complete, you will be prompted to restart your device. If not prompted, you will need to restart the device yourself.    then try with the "power shell" REG DELETE HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Account /va /f   (only f not f")

No this command didn't work for Me as well , its says The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.  

Where did you 17040 build ISO , mind me asking É

@Kjell Inge wrote:

I finally managed to fix this by creating an ISO file from another pc with Insider build 17040 install.

Case closed.