[Insider] Cant update from 17763.107 to 18290.1000 on HP probook 450 G3

Copper Contributor

Window update install fail and it re-download the package build so many times. I tried many solutions to solve it but nothing work.

Do anyone have same problem and had solved it?

8 Replies

Hello, I may be able to help, I  just need a little more info.  do you have an error log or output that shows how it failed.  There are a couple things you can do to get that information.  https://www.onthewinside.com/blog/how-to-troubleshoot-a-bad-upgrade-part-2-lets-dig-deeper .  What I am looking for is the actual failure code that caused the bad upgrade.  Was it due to a bad download, drive etc.    If you could get me something I can possibly help you out more.

Murray

Sorry for late reply. I found this in event log:

- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient" Guid="{945a8954-c147-4acd-923f-40c45405a658}" />
  <EventID>20</EventID>
  <Version>1</Version>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>1</Task>
  <Opcode>13</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x8000000000000028</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-10-10T05:11:27.718591500Z" />
  <EventRecordID>15199</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="1512" ThreadID="9360" />
  <Channel>System</Channel>
  <Computer>HN-PVANH-NB</Computer>
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="errorCode">0x80070103</Data>
  <Data Name="updateTitle">Conexant - MEDIA - 7/3/2018 12:00:00 AM - 8.65.262.0</Data>
  <Data Name="updateGuid">{298e7794-324f-4dfd-9529-7eba09145516}</Data>
  <Data Name="updateRevisionNumber">1</Data>
  <Data Name="serviceGuid">{8b24b027-1dee-babb-9a95-3517dfb9c552}</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

And there are logs when run SetupDiag.

Well the SetupDiag logs give us a big fat zero

SetupDiag was unable to match to any known failure signatures. found with the results log.  The initial error leads that you produced out of the eventlog leads me to believe that it is an incomplete download or something that is missing.  Lets start with the following to get your system on the right track: 

Do a DiskCleanup and choose system files and cleanup anything you don't need and ensure you have enough free drive space (you may not choose to remove older versions if you wish to downgrade)

From an Admin CMD prompt run

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Download the following script

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-WindowsUpdateps1-e0c5eb78

extract the file and save it to a temp directory

do a reboot then  before you try anything else login and spawn a powershell prompt with bypass

powershell –ExecutionPolicy Bypass

go to the directory where the file is saved and run it with 

./Reset-WindowsUpdate.ps1

This will reset your windows update completely, restart as it will ask you to do this and it should finally do a re download of the 18290 within windowsupdates.  Let it go through its routine and see the results.  This may not always work but it has a good chance of getting thing working.  Because the setupdiag produced no know errors and the EventVwr error points to a really generic error by reseting everything and then seeing what errors appear my get us in a better spot.  Let me know how things turn out.

Murray 

After follow your steps, window update show this:

We could not complete the install because an update service was shutting down.

[Retry button]

Should I press that retry button or do something else?

And this is the log when I run your script:

1. Stopping Windows Update Services...
2. Remove QMGR Data file...
3. Renaming the Software Distribution and CatRoot Folder...
4. Removing old Windows Update log...
5. Resetting the Windows Update Services to defualt settings...
sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
6. Registering some DLLs...
7) Removing WSUS client settings...
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
The operation completed successfully.
8) Resetting the WinSock...

Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.

Current WinHTTP proxy settings:

Direct access (no proxy server).

9) Delete all BITS jobs...
10) Attempting to install the Windows Update Agent...
11) Starting Windows Update Services...
12) Forcing discovery...
Process complete. Please reboot your computer.

I see error in step 7, is it ok?

Here is the new error code after I press Retry button.

Windows 10 Insider Preview 18290.1000 (rs_prerelease) - Error 0x800705aa

Sorry for the late reply I was out of band last nite, Your error points to something in your startup programs as affecting the installation process.  I would take a look inside your startup settings in MSINFO32 or use the TaskManager and Startup tab to identify any program that should not be there - possibly even disabling all while doing the upgrade via msconfig selective start.  Also I would run a malware check to be sure you don't have anything else causing some interference.  A common standalone program I use is ADwCleaner by Malwarebytes  https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/  Its a zero footprint item - run and clean up anything it finds.  Make sure you have enough free diskspace and download the new 18298 build and good luck and let me know!