SOLVED

[FIXED] Can't Restart or Shut down my PC- Windows 10 insider build 18999 Fast Ring

MVP

UPDATE 10/18: We have released 20H1 Build 19002.1002, which includes a fix for the issue causing some devices to get stuck during shutdown or restart.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/10/17/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-1...

After upgrading to 18999 from 18995, I can't restart my computer or shut it down anymore. when I attempt to do any of them, the computer gets stuck forever in either "shutting down" or "restarting" state with the loading icon circling.

also the CPU usage goes up and I can tell it by reading the CPU temp number showin on my motherboard and CPU fans getting loud.

I have to hard reset or hard shut down by either pressing the reset button on my case or holding the power button.

the scary part is that it's not listen under the known issues in here:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/10/08/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-1...

anyone else having the same problem?

my specs:

i7 7700K

16GB RAM DDR4 3200Mhz

IGPU graphic card

SSD M.2

Feedback to upvote:

https://aka.ms/AA67uo7

107 Replies

Same here but sometimes it does shutdown ok and restart ok but mostly it's a problem.@HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX 

I too had the same problem. This is how I solved it (in my case): I changed the virtual memory setting to "NO PAGING FILE". Then Restarted. I had to force Shutdown again, but after rebooting, Shutdown / Restart behaved normally. I then restored the paging file in virtual memory, and the problem has not recurred. I suspect that there is an incompatibility in 18999 with paging files created by another build.

Thank you, that's a great info, I think you would add this to the feedback as well. i'll try it too on my PC :)

@dwright0987 

@dwright0987 wrote:

Same here but sometimes it does shutdown ok and restart ok but mostly it's a problem.@HotCakeX 

Hi, thanks,

yes apparently if after a computer start we hit the restart again without spending so much time on Windows and doing anything , then the restart or shut down process will be normal

Also having this issue. Hopefully it gets fixed soon @HotCakeX 

Thank you, feel free to add your system details using "add similar feedback" to this
https://aka.ms/AA67uo7

@HotCakeX 

This is not good advice. Windows 10 has issues with sleep and hibernate and they are not recommended.

@MariaArkle 

Spoiler

@MariaArkle wrote:

@HotCakeX 

This is not good advice. Windows 10 has issues with sleep and hibernate and they are not recommended.

That's exactly the opposite.

Build 18999 has No problem with Sleep or Hibernate.

it only has problem with Shut down and Restart.

We all use Sleep and Hibernate to prevent the need for Shutdown or Restart and in the Known issues list they clearly stated that the problem is only with Restart and Shutdown.

if you have problem with Sleep or Hibernate then it is not related to this issue and you should create a separate feedback about it.

She meant, that usually there is problem using them, since like always...
It "works" but with gremlins (like Fast Startup), not that he has a no go problem.

@MDM-1 

Spoiler

@MDM-1 wrote:

He meant, that usually there is problem using them, since like always...
It "works" but with gremlins (like Fast Startup), not that he has a no go problem.

That's definitely new to me,

what is the problem exactly?

I have old and new hardware (a wide range) running latest Windows 10 and they are all fine.. when I say old I mean 10 years old laptops and new is 2018 new PCs.

Oh, not new at all (I am IT support/service guy), you can find on net easily.
To mention a few, after several/long Sleep or Hibernate, small glitches happens, all kinds of; graphical, printing, dns errors, DATABASE ERRORS, rules filing, processes freeze or misbehave, failed commands etc. etc...
Somme might miss them, if PC used just for browsing, light office and similar.

But if for another some critical process dies, well...

@HotCakeX 

All versions of Windows suffer with problems with sleep and shutdown. It's partly a kernel issue. Do you not know much about OS'? This is bad advice.

@MDM-1 

Spot on! Sadly those who don't do IT professionally don't realize that there are problems with sleep and, even more so with hibernate, in Windows and have been for a long time.

@MDM-1 

Spoiler

@MDM-1 wrote:

Oh, not new at all (I am IT support/service guy), you can find on net easily.
To mention a few, after several/long Sleep or Hibernate, small glitches happens, all kinds of; graphical, printing, dns errors, DATABASE ERRORS, rules filing, processes freeze or misbehave, failed commands etc. etc...
Somme might miss them, if PC used just for browsing, light office and similar.

But if for another some critical process dies, well...

Must be happening rarely then,

I do all kinds of things and never noticed anything strange or out of ordinary.

only thing is that my VPN to my server disconnects which isn't a big deal.

All my VMs and VM servers work fine and I don't need to separately put them to sleep when I wanna put the Host to sleep, after waking up the computer they are all fine.

Sleep is the best thing in Windows 10 build 1903, or the insider fast ring that I use build 18999.

@MariaArkle 

Spoiler

@MariaArkle wrote:

@HotCakeX 

All versions of Windows suffer with problems with sleep and shutdown. It's partly a kernel issue. Do you not know much about OS'? This is bad advice.

I don't know what you're talking about unless you be more specific. simply telling something is bad is not enough.

@MariaArkle 

Spoiler

@MariaArkle wrote:

@MDM-1 

Spot on! Sadly those who don't do IT professionally don't realize that there are problems with sleep and, even more so with hibernate, in Windows and have been for a long time.

I do all types of things on a variety of hardware and haven't noticed anything. you might wanna start being more specific

It is such a Famous and old issue, she does not need to be more specific (would have to write an essay here!). You can easily google it.
And "only thing is that my VPN to my server disconnects which isn't a big deal" is just that, the glitch in question.
The thing is the errors are generally too small of an issue, and people just ignore them, or they Restart the PC (and of course all is working after restart) and they miss to correlate the issue with the cause...

@HotCakeX 

Hi, I had same issue in Build 18999.vb_release 191004-1432 and published this in Dutch to the Community. Now I have good news because the problem (in my case) is solved! Please read below:

I recently ( a few days ago)  reported that Windows 10 did not want to reboot but also did not want to shutdown. PC stays on!! Only with cold stop the PC can be turned off (keep on/off button pressed) I have found out that One Drive is causing this problem.  One Drive was enabled via settings to boot when Windows starts. I have now disabled this option so that One drive does not start up with Windows at the same time. Then turn One Drive off in the system tray. Then reboot and that went smoothly now. Then I turned the PC off and also that went perfect. As a final test and as the ultimate proof that there is a bug in One Drive I'd restarted the PC and One Drive re-enabled to boot at the same time with Windows. The result was that the PC does not want to reboot again and DOES NOT turn off again. Then finally I did cold stop again, then reboot, shut down One Drive again and reboot and switch off is back to normal.  So in my case One Drive was the issue causing the described trouble!

@MDM-1 

Spoiler

@MDM-1 wrote:

It is such a Famous and old issue, she does not need to be more specific (would have to write an essay here!). You can easily google it.
And "only thing is that my VPN to my server disconnects which isn't a big deal" is just that, the glitch in question.
The thing is the errors are generally too small of an issue, and people just ignore them, or they Restart the PC (and of course all is working after restart) and they miss to correlate the issue with the cause...

Sorry but that's not really an answer to my question ("Go google it"), and it Does need to be more specific.

Anyway it's not related to this topic either so I'm gonna skip it.

@Renlei 

Spoiler

@Renlei wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Hi, I had same issue in Build 18999.vb_release 191004-1432 and published this in Dutch to the Community. Now I have good news because the problem (in my case) is solved! Please read below:

I recently ( a few days ago)  reported that Windows 10 did not want to reboot but also did not want to shutdown. PC stays on!! Only with cold stop the PC can be turned off (keep on/off button pressed) I have found out that One Drive is causing this problem.  One Drive was enabled via settings to boot when Windows starts. I have now disabled this option so that One drive does not start up with Windows at the same time. Then turn One Drive off in the system tray. Then reboot and that went smoothly now. Then I turned the PC off and also that went perfect. As a final test and as the ultimate proof that there is a bug in One Drive I'd restarted the PC and One Drive re-enabled to boot at the same time with Windows. The result was that the PC does not want to reboot again and DOES NOT turn off again. Then finally I did cold stop again, then reboot, shut down One Drive again and reboot and switch off is back to normal.  So in my case One Drive was the issue causing the described trouble!

Thank you, i will test this and report back