SOLVED

Cannot install Insider Preview 18305

Copper Contributor

My system has the Insider Preview Version 1809 Build 18290 installed.

I've seen online that the latest version insider preview build 18305 has now been released, HOWEVER, when I run the Update check, it tells me that my system is fully up-to-date and doesn't show this build being available.

I'm in the UK, and so far, all the Insider Preview builds have downloaded and installed correctly. Has this build not been made available to the UK? If it has, does anyone know how to fix this issue? When I look at the Insider Preview page in settings, it states that 'Your Oganisation manages Inside Preview builds via a telemetry Group Policy setting.

Below that is a button marked 'Fix Me' but it's greyed out, and so is the option to Stop Insider Preview Builds. I would assume that because these options are Greyed out, that all the settings are setup fine to recieve these builds?

Im running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, and fully up-to-date.

13 Replies

What build of windows 10 are you running and is your machine domain joined?

I'm on version 1809 build 12890. and as far as I'm aware I'm fully signed up for the insider preview updates to be downloaded

So it looks like you are a couple builds behind if you are on the Fast Ring.  You didn't mention if your machine was domain joined to a work or corporate domain.  Are the downloads coming straight from Microsoft or are you connected to a corporate WSUS server?  If you are not connected to a Wsus, you can try a couple different things to reset the windows updates with this script https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-WindowsUpdateps1-e0c5eb78

This starts the updates from scratch and will re initiate the downloading.  This is, from all I have seen is quite harmless and has a good chance of success.  

If you are domain joined and using a WSUS server, its time to talk to you admin

If not do you have any errors in the eventlog or running setupdiag to see if there are any issues?

I can post a troubleshooting link on some more techniques to get you unstuck.  Let me know

Murray

I'm not connected as domain, I connect direct at home. I'll try the script and see what result I get. Will let you know what the outcome is.

Well, NOTHING I do will fix the problem I have of downloading the 18305 insider preview. I have NO options in settings of changing or opting out of the insider preview builds. I tried the script, and it didn't work, it runs all the way through, but nothing is found when it looks for updates. The ONLY thing it finds, are the updates for the Antivirus (which is the standard one that comes with Windows 10). Is there any way of forcing the update to download, or forcing the insider preview to reset itself, so it looks like I'm no longer wanting them, and then I can start from scratch? I have tried re-registering my e-mail, but it's always the same result. The registry keys are set to skip ahead, etc etc, so I'm at a total loss as to why it's NOT downloading, or even being found when I run the 'check fore updates' in settings. I'm on a Home PC, and all other updates come down fine. Wish there was an ISO file of this build available to download, and install that way.

Ok guys, thans for everyone who suggested different methods of fixing this problem I had, but in the end, I managed to fix it. It was actually down to the fact that the Telemetry had been somehow reset to BASIC and not FULL. Once I managed to reset this back to full, and reset the machine, the download of 18305 was found, now it's in the process of being installed. Will let you know of the outcome of it, but I think it's safe to say, we can now consider this matter closed.

I am curious to know if it installed for you. I had issues downloading too. When I tried to install it would get stuck and I’d have to quit. Eventually I burned the ISO to USB and got it to install. But although I have reset update and changed registry keys over and over I cannot get 18305 to install. And of course there is no ISO to download. I have a Dell XPS laptop. I’d appreciate any advice.

thanks 

I am facing the exact same problem, cannot updated insider preview from 18282 to 18305 on my Dell XPS. Windows Update downloads all the files, restarts but when it reach 10% it just restarts the laptop. Error 0x80070490

best response confirmed by Erik Moreau (MVP)
Solution

Troubleshooting upgrade errors from one Insider version to the next always involves detailed troubleshooting.  In your case I would say the download of the version is just fine, its in the upgrade process that you issue lies.  I have blogged https://www.onthewinside.com/blog/how-to-troubleshoot-a-bad-upgrade-part-2-lets-dig-deeper about ways to look into this.  It involves some digging that some are not comfortable with doing.  If you are adventurous, consider going down this route.  In my blog post my issue was a problem with a new version of Dot Net and IIS.  I suspect your version has to do with the windows store.  First thing first is to get some more information about your error

Check out my blog post or run the Microsoft utility SetupDiag https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/setupdiag  to find some more information.  Post what you get along with some details, does this machine have a lot of windows features enabled or extra software installed?

**bleep** luck and let us know if you can get some details on your error

Murray

Decided to add in this thread although it is not exactly same problem.

I was running 19282 and Windows updated to next build (not sure which it was) but there were bugs related with VMware not running (I found many people were having that problem and the solution was to revert to previous build, i.e. 19282. Now I want to update to 18305, windows finds the update, downloads, installs it, and when it restarts just says undoing changes and it goes back to 18292.

This has happened multiple times and every single time same result.

I also keep getting warning that "This Build will expire soon!" which it actually already has, since the date is 12/14/2018...

How can I fix it an install 18305?

Hi all
I've spent the last two days going through every possible suggested solution (thanks to Murray for his very detailed blog) but always end up with Windows rolling back to 18282 and the message that the build is expiring on Dec 14th, so because my wife needs the laptop I was eventually forced to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch and leave the insider program.

OK, I've had enough of this **bleep** with Insider Preview builds now. I'm now running the 18309_1000 and guess what, you guessed it, it REFUSES TO INSTALL.

i've done the sfc /scannow both in safe and normal mode, and it reports NO violations.

I've stopped both the Update and BITS services, Deleted the contents of the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder, the restarted the system to auto re-start the Update and BITS services.

I've EVEN downloaded and tried to run an update from a ISO file, downloaded from the GENUINE Microsoft servers. AND NOTHING WORKS!!!!!!

It constantly sits there, stuck at the following points (NOTE, these are different each time I restart and retry to install the update)

Getting things ready 0%

Getting things ready 100%

Downloading 0%

Downloading 100%

HOWEVER, when I shut down the update and BITS service, and delete the folder, and then restart the PC, the update service states that everything is up-to-date until i then check for updates. When I DO then check for updates, it tells me that the Insider Preview is available to download (Now the 18317 build), and then when I click on DOWNLOAD, it all goes pear-shaped again. I've noticed too, that if I have the Task Manager running, with a list of 'services' after a while, both the UPDATE and BITS service (which HAVE been running) then suddenly seem to STOP on their own. I dont know IF this is supposed to happen or not, but when they stop, update then gets stuck.

REALLY don't want to re-format and start from scratch, but it looks like I just might have to, and lose loads of work in the process.

Formating is really the last option - if you are that far go into settings--> update and security --> and choose Recovery and reset this pc and wipe everything - Just the fast and not the full drive wipe you probably don't need to go that far.  I have had to do this on occasion with an insider build that went wrong, its all part of testing!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Erik Moreau (MVP)
Solution

Troubleshooting upgrade errors from one Insider version to the next always involves detailed troubleshooting.  In your case I would say the download of the version is just fine, its in the upgrade process that you issue lies.  I have blogged https://www.onthewinside.com/blog/how-to-troubleshoot-a-bad-upgrade-part-2-lets-dig-deeper about ways to look into this.  It involves some digging that some are not comfortable with doing.  If you are adventurous, consider going down this route.  In my blog post my issue was a problem with a new version of Dot Net and IIS.  I suspect your version has to do with the windows store.  First thing first is to get some more information about your error

Check out my blog post or run the Microsoft utility SetupDiag https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/setupdiag  to find some more information.  Post what you get along with some details, does this machine have a lot of windows features enabled or extra software installed?

**bleep** luck and let us know if you can get some details on your error

Murray

View solution in original post