SOLVED

Cannot Install 18875

Copper Contributor

I am on the latest 1903 build and I have a couple machine that refuse to install the latest 18875 build. I have cleared the software distribution folder, restarted, stopped and started services etc. Nothing lets me install it.

I know others are having the issue I have seen posts. Anyone have a work around that works or do I have to wait on MS?

8 Replies
Stop the Windows Update service via CMD running as admin and run this command "net stop wuauserv" then open File Explorer and open this path "%windir%\SoftwareDistribution" delete everything inside it but don't delete the folder. Open Windows Settings or via Win+I, run Windows Update and it should download and install normally.
I did do this. Both with command line and GUI. That’s what I meant by clearing the software distribution folder
best response confirmed by Daniel Swartz (Copper Contributor)
Solution

FINALLY got this going. Thanks to the Windows 10 Feedback App somone got me to try these steps

This is what worked for me:

Services > Windows Search > Stop

Services > Windows Search > Properties > Startup type > Disabled

Command Prompt (Admin) > net stop wuauserv

Command Prompt (Admin) > net stop bits

Command Prompt (Admin) > net stop dosvc

Delete the folder: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution (rmdir /S /Q %windir%\softwaredistribution)

Restart the PC

Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates

This worked perfectly, thanks for your help. You need to tell Microsoft how to cure their problem.

@Larry5511 the issue is with (KB4495666) Cumulative Update. Simply uninstall this patch (KB4495666) and you can update to 18875.1000! 

By the way, Microsoft is working on a patch to solve the issue.

nice, when i got that error i tried a few times then i went to settings that reset my Windows (i.e clean install again) and after that installed 20H1 successfully over 19H1.

I've done those steps and more, still Build 18875 fails to install from 18362.86. It stops between 14% and 35%

@Deleted wrote:
Stop the Windows Update service via CMD running as admin and run this command "net stop wuauserv" then open File Explorer and open this path "%windir%\SoftwareDistribution" delete everything inside it but don't delete the folder. Open Windows Settings or via Win+I, run Windows Update and it should download and install normally.

this topic should be marked as SOLVED, because Microsoft published a fix for this a week ago.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Daniel Swartz (Copper Contributor)
Solution

FINALLY got this going. Thanks to the Windows 10 Feedback App somone got me to try these steps

This is what worked for me:

Services > Windows Search > Stop

Services > Windows Search > Properties > Startup type > Disabled

Command Prompt (Admin) > net stop wuauserv

Command Prompt (Admin) > net stop bits

Command Prompt (Admin) > net stop dosvc

Delete the folder: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution (rmdir /S /Q %windir%\softwaredistribution)

Restart the PC

Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates

View solution in original post