Can't update the build 16288.1 (rs3-release)

Brass Contributor

When update the new build 16288, I get the notice "An update is being prepared for your device, but it's not quite ready yet. We'll keep trying or you can try again now" (with error 0x80240034)

93 Replies
nothing to find with this build. Thanks, guess i quit insider because Dona and team dont care release problem free,

your not alone I try in Danish language and the same **bleep** over and over again, Dona and he team dont care and wont release a full iso for now.

Hi. Maybe you are misunderstanding the meaning of this program, the build 16288.1 (rs3-release) has many problems, it may not meet your specifications. but it is compatible with my device after i suggested this topic. they are trying to perfect it. good luck.

same here but with this error

Windows 10 Insider Preview 16288.1 (rs3_release) - Error 0x80070003

I cant update the windows 10 insider preview 16288.

first error 0x80240034, 2nd & 5th fail to install error 0x80070714.

My second PC install successfully.

Please update me the solutions.

Thanks

Yeah same here too - tried several times - same issue - 12% then error 0x80070714 - thsi si a UK instance so not restricted to German - probably and EMEA build issue. Just trying DISM..

wu170509.diagcab did not work for me.. also en_gb

Doesnt help any thing tried many times and still dont install more than 13 % and start roll back, , Just around the corner I will quit windows insider because its only problematic get any thing down for the moment.

So this fixed it for me..

I noticed in the error log that some elements of languages was missing and caused a failure. Based on fact that a high percentage of users reporting this issue are from Eurppean locations, I concluded that the issue was a language issue.

My second thought was Microsoft are American - so only America exists (especially post Trump), right.. And no one in the world would consider removing Aerican language packs, would they... (;->)

So I checked my language settings and noted I had removed America from the Languages, Keyboards etc. (probably on a CIA watch list now).

This was all remedied by adding USA language Pack + handwriting + speech + keyboard back onto my system. For good measure I also made sure all elements of the UK English language were present (So do same for German etc).

Reboot and retry the update to 16288.1 - if it gets to 14% you are winning...

I may just have got lucky - but this is the 20th time I tried to install... and it worked after undertaking above steps....

Andrew

Interesting observation - I removed the American Language pack and this issue affected me. I had remedied the error prior to seeing this reply. You might be onto something.
I think the political issue is not related to this issue
Delay upgrading to this if you have surface pro 3. I have run in to problem since I upgraded yesterday.

Same problem here as of today, kept trying but faild and roll back or try again later, both versiojn fast and skip ahead

I finally got mine to install and now everything is working fine.  Here's what I did:

Rean this entire instruction.  I had the same issue with the previous update and following to step 3 fixed the problem.  With this latest update 16288, there was a new wrinkle

1. Reboot PC
  2. navigate to C / Windows / Software Distribution / Downloads
  3. Delete the entire contents of the download folder 
    (this had worked for me on the last the release but didnt at first, read the additional steps and comments) 
  4. Now navigate to C Drive and right click C, select "Properties" then click "Disk Clean-up"
  5. When the pop up opens, select from the bottom left "Clean up system files" then selct everything
  6. Let the process run
  7. When the C drive had been cleaned, Reboot the compter
  8. Check for updates and you should get a clean download and the update will install.

On this particular update.  simply deleting the C / Windows / Software Distribution / Download folder didnt work.  After I deleted it, it started downloading again.   If when trying to delete the download folder you get a message that the folder or a file is in use and connot be deleted.  Just wait.  Use the search box and type in "Windows Update"  then selct check for updates.  If the update is downloading you'll see where it is at in percentage terms.  Wait till 100% or complete and the message says waiting for system restart or reboot    DO NOT REBOOT.   Now you can follow the instructions above.  This worked for me after 6 failed attempts to get 16288 update.

@Howard your instructions worked for me im now at 33% installed.

EDIT fully installed and working.

@Howard Olsen wrote:

I finally got mine to install and now everything is working fine.  Here's what I did:

Rean this entire instruction.  I had the same issue with the previous update and following to step 3 fixed the problem.  With this latest update 16288, there was a new wrinkle

1. Reboot PC
  2. navigate to C / Windows / Software Distribution / Downloads
  3. Delete the entire contents of the download folder 
    (this had worked for me on the last the release but didnt at first, read the additional steps and comments) 
  4. Now navigate to C Drive and right click C, select "Properties" then click "Disk Clean-up"
  5. When the pop up opens, select from the bottom left "Clean up system files" then selct everything
  6. Let the process run
  7. When the C drive had been cleaned, Reboot the compter
  8. Check for updates and you should get a clean download and the update will install.

On this particular update.  simply deleting the C / Windows / Software Distribution / Download folder didnt work.  After I deleted it, it started downloading again.   If when trying to delete the download folder you get a message that the folder or a file is in use and connot be deleted.  Just wait.  Use the search box and type in "Windows Update"  then selct check for updates.  If the update is downloading you'll see where it is at in percentage terms.  Wait till 100% or complete and the message says waiting for system restart or reboot    DO NOT REBOOT.   Now you can follow the instructions above.  This worked for me after 6 failed attempts to get 16288 update.

Hats off to you Andrew.

I added English-US language to my UK-English installation,  and then update 16288.1 just sailed through.

Same for me, installing US-English language made it work on my second machine, the Surface Pro 4.

True enough - often see  large organistaions presuming no one would remove the default US settings.. As this seems to have fixed for some people glad I posted, and only wish solving the political issues was as simple as installing the American language pack (;->)

@Nihad Perva wrote:
same here 0x80070714 main language german

Same version & behaviour here! 

Same problem, keeps installing, upgrading and failing.