Can't update the build 16288.1 (rs3-release)

Brass Contributor

When update the new build 16288, I get the notice "An update is being prepared for your device, but it's not quite ready yet. We'll keep trying or you can try again now" (with error 0x80240034)

93 Replies
Same problem here. Stopping and starting the Windows Update service / deleting the download folder under SoftwareDistribution did nothing.

Same problem here on my Surface Pro 4. Tried Windows Update Troubleshooter, no success.

Me too. same issue everywhere . no answer.

I've also experienced same error :( what to do? Restart and just wait?

Although I was running the debugger but it seems the problem is not resolved.

exact same problem here..

Windows insider on twitter says the issue has gone now... But it's not. Tell them on twitter too.

I also have this same issue

I had same issue and try to repair using Windows Update Rapir tool. 1st try had only repaired BITS services 2nd try repaired W.U Since now tried to donwload the last release 16288 rs3 and install was ok.
I had same issue and try to repair using Windows Update Rapir tool. 1st try had only repaired BITS services 2nd try repaired W.U Since now tried to donwload the last release 16288 rs3 and install was ok.

same here

Did not worked for me (on two different computers), tried it multiple times.

Didn't work work for me neither

Same here

You can try this, it works for me :

• Run Command Prompt as Administrator.
  • Type the following command:
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /scanhealth
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Finally, the solution light comes from MS:
Tweet de Dona Sarkar insider program:

#WindowsInsiders who are seeing the "can't update" error from yesterday. Our fix is rolling out. Please give it till 5 pm PST today.

Be patient?

Did that but didn't help

I just got the update, so I guess that microsoft figured it out.