Build 18875 fails to install from 18362.86

Copper Contributor

I have tried almost everything I've read in this forum and Build 18875 fails to install from 18362.86. It stops between 14% and 34%.

4 Replies
the problem is solved, like a week ago Microsoft released an update that you need to install it first and then 20H1 will be installed on your system without problem. IF for ANY reason you can't do it, reset your Windows insider from settings, like a clean install, after that you can install 20H1. i did this more than 2 weeks ago before Microsoft released a fix.
  • @Manny Alonzo 
    Try a clean boot prior to upgrading. This disables all non-Microsoft Services and all Startup Items shown in Task Manager.
  • Completely uninstalling any non-Microsoft antivirus software is also recommended with Insider builds, as it is impossible for such vendors to anticipate new changes to the Windows OS.
  • A few times in Windows Insider history, it has also helped to disconnect or disable all Network adapters prior to restarting during a Windows OS upgrade (but I have not heard of needing this recently).
  • There are issues with external drives or SD cards. Disconnect these if present.
  • There can be long pauses with apparent inactivity. Ensure that you allow the upgrade a long time to process before intervening.

@Don Cuthbert I've tried everything mentioned in your response without success. It seems a driver problem according to MS. See Attachment. I just hope they find out the fix soon.

@Don Cuthbert wrote:
  • @Manny Alonzo 
    Try a clean boot prior to upgrading. This disables all non-Microsoft Services and all Startup Items shown in Task Manager.
  • Completely uninstalling any non-Microsoft antivirus software is also recommended with Insider builds, as it is impossible for such vendors to anticipate new changes to the Windows OS.
  • A few times in Windows Insider history, it has also helped to disconnect or disable all Network adapters prior to restarting during a Windows OS upgrade (but I have not heard of needing this recently).
  • There are issues with external drives or SD cards. Disconnect these if present.
  • There can be long pauses with apparent inactivity. Ensure that you allow the upgrade a long time to process before intervening.

@Manny Alonzo Sometimes such messages have to do with attached USB devices, or a hidden gaming anti-cheat folder that has been detected, such as BattlEye.  They have indicated that even internal drives could pose an issue, due to drive letter changes during upgrade.

I have gone as far as disabling all possible devices, excluding the keyboard and mouse, before, but usually a clean boot is sufficient. I have never personally seen the message shown in your image, except when reported by others.