SOLVED

Windows 10 Version 1809, Remote Desktop Connection not working from PC but working fine from macOS.

Copper Contributor

Updated yesterday to version 1809,

Remote Desktop Connection from another Windows 10 version 1809 not working.

It looks like connected, but the whole screen is blank and the mouse cursor become hourglass then about 1 minute later, lost connection. Then trying to re-establish the connection, but the screen is still black. This time mouse cursor even stuck and not showing in the screen. 

75 Replies
Only if UDP disabled, client will experience black screen?
And if you enable it, client will connect normally ?

thanks
Feras.

It's the other way around, only if you disable UDP it works. 

So by default it does not currently work.

Alright will check and get back to you.

This fix should address the same issue, but will check if we have the fix with the KB or not and update this thread.

one quick questions, check rdpbase.dll version ?
and what Client windows 10 you are using ?
Are you using any VPN in between client and server?

Hey all,

I am having trouble replicating this issue. I have a couple of PCs running 1809 (17763-316) and I cannot get the black screen. I have tried RDP from PC 1 to PC 2, it works fine. I has also tried PC2 to PC1, it also works fine.  Adding a 3rd PC (laptop) to the mix, I did PC3 RDP to both PC1 and PC2. Worked fine.  And RDP from PC1 and PC2 to PC3. Worked fine.

Of course all are the 1809 listed above. I guess I am doing something right, or have just been spared. I don't know.

Randyo

dll version is 10.0.17763.348.

Im using the default rdp client, not the one from store.

There is no vpn involved, open connection over the internet.

The RDPBASE.DLL is 10.0.17763.1 (9/15/2018)

As told before, 1809 17763.316

Using NordVPN on PC2 I was able to RDP to both PC1 and PC3 (laptop). Worked fine. My Asus Merlin router is set with different ports for RDP.

All good here. <shrug>

RandyO

If you scroll up, I did test without VPN. I used 3 PCs with 1809 17763.316. All worked fine. No black screens.

I can confirm that (at least for me), that after installing KB4482887 on both my client PC (Windows 10 1809) and my Windows Server 2019 machine, I haven't seen the issue again. Everyone that attempts to reproduce it should update builds on both ends.

Hello Randy,

Is this after installing the 4482887 update?

feras.

Martin you have the right version, and the fix included within this DLL.

I would advise if you check without any special configuration such as port forwarding.

check if you have one to one RDP test between windows 10 and 2019 server. does that work ?

Feras.

I do not have windows 2019 server, RDP works in lan for me, but not over internet (without vpn)

What about the others? Did this KB fix anything for you?

I have never edited the registry myself so I dont think that should be an issue.

I tested it with Windows 10 (with the KB) and Windows Server 2019 (with the KB) and I still experience the same problem. I'm connecting through VPN SSTP (Windows RRAS).

I did not install any "fixes".  I do not know why my systems are working. I see no sign of 4482887 on my PC.

thanks a lot, changing the jumbo frame on the host did the trick for me

Still a problem, both RDP client and host on 1809, with a SSTP VPN between them. Fails almost immediately.

It works if you use a L2TP VPN, and from testing a PPTP VPN will work sporadically.

Works also from Win 10 1809 to a Server 2016.

FIX works for SSTP like has been said - Turning off UDP works for me on the client machine.
Glad I found this thread, wasted at least 3 hours.

@Harry Kim 

It's an issue also with Win 10 1809 to Win 10 1809

You can work around this by disabling UDP session used by MSTSC on your affected Win 10 1809 computer (the one where you're running the Remote Desktop client).

Run Group Policy Editor.  Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administration Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop Services > Remote Desktop Connection Client.  Set the "Turn Off UDP On Client" setting to Enabled.

Try connection again in MSTSC. Should work OK.  No reboot required.

Copied from https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/dff1a051-afa9-48e5-ba77-4c5cffd54634... and fixed the problem for me, thought worth sharing.

after installing windows 10 may 2019 update, everything works for me again