SOLVED

Windows 10 Version 1809, Remote Desktop Connection not working from PC but working fine from macOS.

Copper Contributor

Updated yesterday to version 1809,

Remote Desktop Connection from another Windows 10 version 1809 not working.

It looks like connected, but the whole screen is blank and the mouse cursor become hourglass then about 1 minute later, lost connection. Then trying to re-establish the connection, but the screen is still black. This time mouse cursor even stuck and not showing in the screen. 

75 Replies

Same problem here, but I can confirm that I, in fact, have control! Once I opened a folder full of Microsoft Virtual Academy videos. Then, I connected using Remote Desktop. I double-clicked somewhere in the black. The target computer started playing an MVA video: I could hear the video's sound through the target computer's speakers. When I logged in via the console, I saw the video player was on screen.

Same stuff, different day, or how it goes. I have the same problem. Good job MS, on Your third iteration of 1809, which forced unto my work computer and now I need to pay for AnyDesk in order to use it full time. "Good job, really good job"

Okay, so Sys Admin at the company I work at told me, that there's some chance that Remote Desktop Connection and Remote Assistance [which use the same GUi and libraries] have most likely been severed. Now You need to issue invitations. It works for me via invitations. I have Windows 10 Home @ work and Windows 10 Pro @ home, so I can connect, via invitation. I switched to TightVNC and original RealVNC client. Works much better.

Cheers!

//edit: Well, not even dayum invitations are working :(

Hello,

I stumbled across a similar problem.

Between 2 Win10 Pro 1809 I only got a black picture, but I could control the computer in the session: It was possible to write texts, click icons and move windows.

After some debugging I noticed that I had different MTU settings for host and client.

I then tested the following settings:

• Host: jumbo frames 9k + client: jumbo frames off = black screen as described above
  • Host: jumbo frames off + client: jumbo frames off = runs immediately
  • Host: jumbo frames 9k + client: jumbo frames 9k = runs immediately
  • Host: jumbo frames off + client: jumbo frames 9k = frozen waiting-cursor with login image, which is also frozen. After approx. 40 sec. desktop appears and it seems to work normally

I hope I can help someone with their problem.

sincerely yours,

Heiko

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

disabling UDP did the trick for me!

Kudos to Maydogan & ITManager from bringing this (temporary) workaround!

Hey there buddy,

Use RDC Wrapper.

https://github.com/stascorp/rdpwrap/issues/578

It helped me. You need to find exact configuration for Your current Windows version.

Wrote to Windows live support, they told me that RDP Wrapper is not illegal so that's that.

With kind regards

Bryan

seriously microsoft it's time to fix this. It's confirmed that disabling UDP in firewall to the RDP-host is a fix for this, so why don't you fix it? I can't go around blocking udp everywhere.

This is hurting.

Has anyone here tried reporting it to Feedback Hub? If yes, please share your link so that the rest of us can upvote. After all, that's the official way of getting Microsoft's attention.

I think the issue discussed at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/dff1a051-afa9-48e5-ba77-4c5cffd54634...

stems from the same problem, or is in fact the same issue.

Just like here, Microsoft also ignores them there.

Microsoft ignored? Did you try getting Microsoft's attention in the first place? The correct way of doing it is to post to Feedback Hub and share a link to the report here, so we can upvote it.

We recently experienced this when using RDP from Windows 10 v1809 to another Windows 10 v1809 machine. This worked for us.

Add a new registry entry in:

"HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Cient"

UseURCP

REG_DWORD 0

Supposedly Microsoft is working on releasing an update sometime in April that fixes this issue.

Yeah we know the workaround.. Great but editing the registry is not an acceptable fix!
best response confirmed by FerasShehadeh (Microsoft)
Solution

Thanks for your update and contacting us.

If the registry workaround the issue, then mostly this KB should fix it : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4482887/windows-10-update-kb4482887

install on both client and server ( source, destination) 

If you still experience the issue, please do let us know. So we can help you further. 

@FerasShehadeh wrote:

Thanks for your update and contacting us.

If the registry workaround the issue, then mostly this KB should fix it : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4482887/windows-10-update-kb4482887

If you still experience the issue, please do let us know. So we can help you further. 

Nope, I just installed this update on my Windows 10 laptop and still having the same problem connecting to a 2019 server...

Would you please confirm if this KB installed on both OS (source and destination). I meant install the KB on client and server.

What is the Hyper-V OS running ?

Thanks

Feras.

The latest update has indeed fixed this issue. Thanks MS

the KB is installed on both machines, I dont user hyper-v at all. Windows 10 pro on both machines.

The issue is not with the server but with the client. It doesnt matter what version the server is, 1809 clients cant connect if udp isnt disabled.

What happens is you get past the login but then the screen is just black.