Power On when Laptop Screen Opens

Copper Contributor

I am trying to find the setting that has the laptop turn on when you open the lid (so there is no need for the power button).  I had it set like this a few years back but can only find how to alter what closing the lid does under "Power Options"-"System Settings".  I have a Toshiba laptop if there is a special setting for these.  Thanks for the advice.  

3 Replies

Hi Ryan

I'm not aware of any setting that allows you to turn on your laptop by opening the lid, unless you had put your laptop to Sleep and you are bringing it out of that state.

Maybe just put your laptop to sleep and give that a go? Just don't forget to every once in a while restart the laptop to refresh the OS and to install any updates as needed.

Best wishes!

Cheers

Damien

A further question to this is the power button stopped working on my laptop.  It's not jammed, still functions fine, and is lit up but it will not wake the computer up anymore.  The computer is currently on but I do not want to turn it off for this reason.  Opening the lid at least wakes it from sleep.  Is there possibly a reason why this would not be working, other than it possibly being broken (though the laptop just sits on my desk so it's not like it could have dropped or anything).  Like I said, when I first got the computer, it was automatically set to start up, from a complete shut down, when the lid opens.  Thanks again!

Hi Ryan

Hard to diagnose the issue from my end what the exact issue is, but I would encourage you (if you haven't already tried) to check the Power button settings in Windows to see if it's somehow disable.

capture20180829091326403.png

Hope that helps. Otherwise if it's still an issue, and if you have an IT Service Desk team or tech people to talk to, they will likely know more as they would have configured the device.

Best wishes!

Cheers

Damien