SOLVED

1703->1709 BSOD 0xc00000bb on devices with NVMe SSD's

Brass Contributor

1703->1709 BSOD 0xc00000bb on devices with NVMe SSD's

This will be the very first question I will ask in the AMA.  I hope you have a better answer than "we are working on it" ready for the thousands of us with this issue and waiting for a fix since September.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/08485ba0-f69f-483b-861e-238f161dabee/problem-with-...

222 Replies

Just to confirm, if I use the Media Creation Tool, get an ISO, burn a DVD and run the setup.exe (I already got all that), this will just UPDATE my windows 10? I'm not going to have to reinstall software?

I'm at the part where it says it will Install Windows 10 Pro, and to "keep files and apps". That's basically going to painlessly update me without the destruction of some sort of fresh install type thing?

Yes - I do have a clone backup just in case, I'd rather not use that. Thanks for letting me know

UPDATE: I went ahead and did it. To let everyone know this was a X99A MSI Mpower MB, with the Intel 750 SSD NVME drive. Nine months of pain with failed updates, many dozens of hours wasted, spending oodles of time shutting off the noxious Update Tool Virus that MS puts out. This attempt took me most of the day. But it is fixed. The Media Creators Tool, creating your own DVD or USB drive, then just running the setup.exe from inside W10, and using the "keep files and apps", is just like an update and actually worked with my NVME drive. All my apps and everything seem to be fine so far.

I'm afraid of what the next Fall Creators update will bring. Will it work any better? Thanks for nothing Microsoft.

I have managed to update my PC, after the third update to 1803 (OS Build 17134.83).
In build 81 the SSD blunder was fixed. Also, there appears to have been an issue with Avast AV that is now fixed. I did a regular windows update and it finally worked.
I suggest to anyone using Win 10 Pro to use the option Semi annual + 365 days in the advanced options of Windows update (Choose when updates are installed). This will deffer the semi annual feature updates by about 15 months. Plenty of time for MS to fix all the bugs they introduce. Then, when you want to install the update, you simply change it to Semi annual Targeted + 0 days, and check for updates. When it comes to Win 10 Semi annual updates, don't be an early adapter . Later is better the earlier.

The error 0xc00000bb is the most rare blue screen of death. It is also similar to the 0xc0000034 which may cause a driver to overrun a Stacked-Based-Buffer. This can allaw a malicious user to gain control of the machine and cause an Unknown Hard Error (0xc0000218).
You'll need to restart your computer and set the /CRASHDEBUG system start option or check with your hardware device vendor for BIOS updates. If the Stop Error Screen appears again, do not press the POWER button or unplug the power cord. Instead, CONTACT your system administrator or your support team.

If you're interested in this comment, reply to ourselves for more information about troubleshooting Stop errors or contact us via private message in the Tech Community for troubleshooting.