SOLVED

1703->1709 BSOD 0xc00000bb on devices with NVMe SSD's

Brass Contributor

1703->1709 BSOD 0xc00000bb on devices with NVMe SSD's

This will be the very first question I will ask in the AMA.  I hope you have a better answer than "we are working on it" ready for the thousands of us with this issue and waiting for a fix since September.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/08485ba0-f69f-483b-861e-238f161dabee/problem-with-...

222 Replies
Hello Michael,

Is there any update on this?

I have 1703 factory installed, but have been unable to update to 1709 since 3rd November (Windows update has tried 60+ times to update unsuccessfully). I would not wish to go through this with every six-monthly update.

I had hidden the update using wushowhide a week ago, but today, Microsoft appears to have installed Windows 10 Update Assistant and has since downloaded the update three times and failed to install three times - all this in one afternoon. This is wasting time and resources - now trying to work out how to stop this download process.

Intel Core i7-7820X, Gigabyte GA-X299-UD4 Motherboard, 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD.

Paul

Hey,

with the BIOS from MSI (for the X99A Tomahawk) I've posted before i was able to get 1709 running. I've done a clean installation and it worked !

The guy from the MSI-Support, said this BIOS will be available in a final version in the future, but at least they try.

Greetings

It happens the same to me. When MS activates de update again, I deactivate it in the task manager/Microsoft/Windows/UpdateOrchestrator and there I disable all in relation to the UpdateAssistant. It works during some time and then I must disable it again.
A clean installation always worked (also with the old bios). But nothing tells you that, in the next update, you will have the same problem with the update.

I also have no time to reinstall everything again and make copies of everything I have.

Sorry my fault. I Thought a clean install was also imposible. I didn't tried a clean install.

A new installation is not an option for me.

A review to think about:

Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:17 PM

Just did a chat with Microsoft.  They basically said they know about the upgrade problems with the NVMe Samsung SSD issue.  She said the engineers are working on the problem, and should have a fix soon on their support site.  She did not have a timetable or know if it will be a fix issued from cumulative updates through windows update or a separate fix, but she said they are working on it, and a fix will be issued soon.  Let's hope this is true. 

---------------------------------------------

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/08485ba0-f69f-483b-861e-238f161dabee/problem-with-...

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Today is March 4, 2018
Nothing has happened

Same issue

ASUS Prime x299-A

Samsung SSD 960 Pro 512gb

0xc00000bb error 

Then I tried updating via USB, got the same error, and an extra error shown in the media creation tool dialog after restarting:

"0xC1900101 - 0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

Update to BIOS 1102.  That should allow you to upgrade with an ASUS MOB. 

Hey thanks Scott, that worked!

Hi

Just experienced the same problem, I'm running 1703, and had no problems. Changed Updates to Company under advanced settings for updates, and set that function updates should be delayed for 365 days, hope this keeps 1709 from trying to install all the time.

I'm running on MSI X99A Raider w/ Samsung 960 Evo NVME.

From reading in this forum, it unfortunately doesn't seem that Microsoft cares a lot of their customers :( If engineers @Pernille-Eskebo can't seem to fix the problem in in half a year, can we be sure that it will be fixed ever?

Dear Microsoft, When You're aware that quite a bunch of people are experiencing problems, then at least make a tool that delays the function updates, until a fix for the problem(s) is at hand (automatic check) for the people that are experiencing these problem(s) - I think quite a lot of people are affected with this problem, so that would  give a reason for the development of such a tool - Or move on and get the problem fixed. Half a year seems a bit out of proportion for fixing this issue!

Best regards

Kim

Hi all,

i have the same problem. The Update ends with BS and EC 0xc00000bb.

My System is MSIX99 Gaming pro Carbon 7E20

I7 6800K with 32 GB Ram

MSI 1070 Gaming and Samsung NVME 960 Evo 500GB

WIN 10 Pro 64bit

Same problem here. This has been going on for at least half a year or longer and now i even get a warning that my current win 10 version (1607) will not be supported anymore come april. This is completely unacceptable. A fix has been promised for months and months.

MSI X99a gaming pro carbon

samsung evo 960 evo

Same issue here.  Have rebooted at least 3x a day for months.   Can;t stop reboots.  Cant fix it.  Have tried everything except clean install.  Just posting so i get notified if and when a fix is made.   MSI X99a Godlike Carbon

Nothing work. I tried a new bios from msi. Hg3 bios and it dont work.

MS you have no fix for this?

Hi,

Microsoft is uninteriseted  for user which have problems with Windows 10.

This is the "lesson learned". You can be sure, I do not make any kind sentence about MS in future.

Truly appalling communications, service and patches from Microsoft!

Update in case anyone is listening:

1. Microsoft is giving a boot up message that this version of Windows 10 - 1607 is no longer supported in April.

2. Still can't stop the Windows Upgrade Assistant-  I have modified the registry according to directions multiple times.  If I uninstall it, it comes back minutes later.  Its a virus that can't be removed.

3. I have downloaded the ISO on the new Windows 10 version and done the upgrade from there.  It goes through a long time upgrading, then Dies.  Have done this at least 3 times...probably more.

4. About every other failure to upgrade leaves my machine's programs unable to launch, except in Administrator mode.   Took a while to figure that out... Its a hassle, but in some cases things do not work.  Microsoft Outlook for instance can not search in admin mode.  I use this constantly.

Things I am afraid to try:

Since this leaves my machine potentially unusable with the blue screen of death, so far I am able to boot using and alternative and continue.  

1. Doing a clean install is worrisome.  Seems like a good possibility that the machine will not recognize the drives and never boot.

2. Booting from a USB drive to upgrade - I worry about the same outcome.

3. Some have suggested using a non-SSD drive to boot from...Clone a drive, etc...So I am supposed to order and install a new drive just to test this???    Figure out how to clone a drive etc...  I am experienced, but its not something I am set up to do.

4. Reinstalling all my programs is VERY time consuming.  Some are saying hours, but by the time I get at the setting back to what I like, it takes me days.

So appealing to MSI and Mcrosoft - What's the answer?

I'm out. Bought a new motherboard from ASRock as MSI doesn't care about their customers. Worked out of the box with the update.

I'm sorry for all others that are faced with this problem. I'll never buy a MSI product again... this is just ridiculous

I wish Windows was Open Source. Then bugs like this could be fixed by the community in days or a week.
I would switched since long to Linux, if the Driver- and Apps-Compatibility would be like on Windows.

MSI and ASUS is already dead for me. Foxconn does the Production, and they do **bleep** all the times.
On my next PC I will go to ASRock, much better Support...

Microsoft please, fix this already! I will be really angry if it was just a Boot File Size limit!

That would be a 5 minute job!