Feature Update to Windows 10 Enterpise 1703 cause IE 11 to become corrupt

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I just did a Feature update to Windows 10 Enterprise 1703 Creators update via SCCM using servicing on my custom Win10 Enterprise 1607 image.  This caused Internet Explorer 11 to become corrupt and not launch correctly when trying to launch it via shortcut.  I can see the IE 11 window open and trying to loading, but then crash.  Also it sometimes just closes after trying to load after a min or so.  Other thing is that Program and Features will not launch as well which is strange.  My concern is how do I continue servicing the custom image going forward with MS Win10 release schedule if I continue to have these type of issues.  Please let me know if anyone else is seeing the samething or how they go around it?

I know that creating a Windows Upgrade Task sequence is an option as I created one to upgrade Win10 v1511 machines to v1607.  I like option as I can add our company customizations afterwards like removing the default Win10 apps and company branding.  So far I have tested it on a handful of machines and noticed some issues like sccm client becoming corrupt when patches wouldn't install.  We are currently on SCCM 1606 and in process to upgrade to SCCM 1702 soon.

Thank You,

Zain 

7 Replies

I have 10 pro. ie 11 worked fine until I joined the insider program. Now, very load a page I get the error message to debug or close. After it recovers the page, all is fine until I move to a new page. I haven't found a solution. Please let me know how you make out. Thanks!

Having the new admx files for 1703 implemented and configured correctly is a crucial step for stable features upgrades. I would check to make sure the group policies are configured right and not impacting each other. The only issue I saw after going from 1607-1703 was the actual feature update process but once that went through, everything was performing fine in the OS itself. 

As far as your task sequence goes, I would really try to limit the customization's in your task sequence and keep things simple. The taskbar and start menu are probably the most you want to customize. Other customized steps will continue to be a headache for every feature release. Windows 10 is not Windows 7 so its very important to not treat it that way. 

Thanks Steve,

We were able to finally figure out what was causing the issue after feature update.  We have a 3rd party application named Beyond Trust Power Broker Desktop Client installed in our Core Applications which helps with program right elevation via GPO.  We found that the driver was Not compatible with Win10 v1703 and that upgrading the Power Broker client resolved the issue.  I thought I would share this to help anyone else having the issue.

Regards,

Zain

Zain,

I'm so very, very grateful for your post. I cannot thank you enough. You've just saved me untold hours of troubleshooting.

I happened to be working through the steps today for our company to upgrade from 1607 to 1709 (by way of 1703) and came across the exact IE11 issue you originally described. Earlier today, when I started searching the Internet for answers, I found your 21 minute old (at that time) post that mentioned PowerBroker caused this issue for you. We also use PowerBroker, and ours is also an older version. I just finished testing removal of PowerBroker pre-upgrade and Viola!... the problem is resolved. IE11 now works normally post-upgrade.

FYI for anyone else that finds this... I found that trying to remove PowerBroker post-upgrade (as opposed to pre-upgrade) was not possible. I assume that this was for the same reasons that IE11 won't work properly.

- Bill

Your Welcome, I'm glad my post was able to help as I never post to forums but I guess I was irritated enough lol :). I wish I was able to share the solution sooner, but ended up getting busy with some imaging updates.

This did leave me scratching my head for some time, eventually a Microsoft premier case was opened since we had some user's machine get automatically upgraded to 1703 via windows update. We were able to find that the driver faulting was associated to PowerBroker and disabling the driver from starting in the registry resolved the issue. After some researching we found the older PowerBroker version was not 1703 compatible and upgrading it to PowerBroker v7.3.0.30 resolved the issue.

One thing to note, I found that the latest PB version caused the same issue on an old machine with on of the first Windows 10 releases prior to 1511. Just wanted to mention it incase you do still have older Win10 versions in your environment.

Hi,

We have the same issue, i just didn't figure out which driver to disable in the registry?

Could you share the registry key with us?

thanks a lot

michael

Sorry for the delayed response, I guess I missed the notification.  Not sure if you still need the info, but sharing in case it helps others.  Below the where you disable the privman driver from starting, just change the "Start" value to 4 to disable.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\privman]
"Start"=dword:00000004
"DisplayName"="privman"
"Description"="privman mini-filter driver"