Windows 10 image

Copper Contributor

Is there a general best practice around what a base image / install should contain:

ours typically consistent of:

Wim: Windows + language packs + virusscanner

in deployment the following are added:

office 

adobe reader

c+ redists

management agents, sccm, mbam

few other basic apps which we find all users should have

including these in deployment also brings the obligation for patching all these where   A leaner image would mean our users need to request/ add more later.

3 Replies
I would not include the virus scanner in the base because a) it will slow down the rest of the process and b) it needs updating too frequently and c) an enterprise AV likely creates machine-specific settings to report to the central console. I would include the C++ redist. Those don't need frequent updates.

Hi Sven, thanks for sparing those insights!

Ron,
Sven made some good suggestions there, especially regarding the AV.

The advice I would provide would depend on what is important to you in your deployment. Is is really important that your process of building a new system is as fast as possible? Or, are you okay with adding time in the build process which provides you much more flexibility when it comes to supporting your process. (ex. adding apps after the fact, updates, etc.)

Given the new servicing model Microsoft has implemented, we opted for a thin image, nothing but the base install.wim. We apply all core apps (Office, Adobe Reader, VPN, AV, Silverlight, etc) and customisations through our Task Sequence, then offer up all other apps via SCCM on demand.

Basically, there are a few ways to do it, but it comes down to what you are willing to accept when it comes to deployment speed vs. supporting what you've built.

Hope this helps.