How to create an Org Chart in Visio

Microsoft

Find out how to quickly and easily create an org chart using Microsoft Visio. 

To learn more and trial Visio Pro for Office 365 at no cost, visit: www.microsoft.com/visio

2 Replies

I've learned (the hard way) that if you want to use Exchange to automatically create an org chart, you'd have to disable Exchange Cache Mode for your email profile, in order for it to work.

These are the issues we have had with creating/updating Org Charts with Visio Pro in Office 365 making Visio useless for us in Creating/Updating Org Charts...

1. When I try to align the boxes in the past I simply right clicked on a manager box, chose Subordinates and Arrange Subordinates and it would give me options to do so in Visio Standard, but now in Visio Pro for Office 365 I don’t get any options at all.  It just doesn’t respond.
  2. When I try to add a box under a manager, in Visio Standard I would simply hover the box over the manager box and it would automatically attach it to that manager and the box would drop underneath the Manager’s box and align.  Now in Visio Pro for Office 365 it won’t even attach.  It just doesn’t do anything.  
  3. When trying to cut and paste something from one place to another the following error message appears: Visio internal error: #3400, Action 1022: Paste, First try closing and reopening the file. Next try restarting Visio.

Microsoft keeps telling us when we try to get support for these issues that they do not support Visio Pro for Office 365, so we are now researching alternatives for creating Org Charts